Cause for Concern?

I found that soaking the run a few times a day and blowing a fan in the coop helps. You could try a small doggy pool with ice and cold water... Or just a block of ice would suffice, also you could try taking frozen bottles of water and putting them in the shade where the chickens like to stay

May I ask where?
Bodies don't like cold things so they warm up to compensate which can over heat a bitds well insulated body, cold things can also shock a bird's system.
Fruits and vegetables have fiber which can give a bird diarrhea, which can cause dehydration.
Some treats that I serve to my chickens on hot days:
  • Watermelon, Honeydew Melon or Cantaloupe – you can cube it, slice it or just cut it in half and serve it to them. They love it!
  • Meal worms frozen into little ice cubes.
  • Frozen grapes, cubed berries and melons

May I ask where?
Bodies don't like cold things so they warm up to compensate which can over heat a bitds well insulated body, cold things can also shock a bird's system.
Fruits and vegetables have fiber which can give a bird diarrhea, which can cause dehydration.
We keep some frozen treats on hand in our basement freezer in the summertime, frozen melon, frozen water and mealworms etc stuff like that. Sounds gross but the chickens love it. One year we took a bunch of greens and put them in the food processor and then froze them into "greenie popsicles". The Chickens love them.

Toss some crushed ice out to her and see if she responds or take a fan out to the coop and circulate some air.

This summer I read in a post that Terra-cotta trays work very well for the chickens to cool their feet so I got some and I'm totally amazed how much good they do. It took a while for them to get in but once they figured it out, they do it several times a day, especially during the hottest part of the day. They have to be placed in the shade, the water stays incredibly cool even when the temp is over 100. The water has to be changed a couple of times, they like to perch on the edge of the tray and poop on the water. My concern is them getting bumble foot because of the moisture in their feet, however at this point after so many super hot days we've had and the ones still to come, I'm willing to risk it for the benefit of them cooling off.

Back
Top Bottom