cause of death

LeenaB

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 22, 2013
This morning I found one of my quail dead. I know she was live at least 2 hours ago- as that's when my son does his morning chores. I go and recheck his chores late morning as a few usually need redoing.

I found her still warm 15 minutes ago, but most definitely dead and stiff.

The other quail with her seem good, active and up to their usual activities. I have 1 male with 7 females now.

Should I do a necropsy? If so what should I look for? Impacted crop?

You can do a necropsy if you feel like it wasn't disease related. If you think it might be, you may want to send it off to have it done. Most states have a program to necropsy fowl. It usually involves a cost with gamebirds however.

Is she laying regularly? if so check her vent and if you do a necropsy check the egg passages to see if one got stuck, turned, or burst. Also definitely check the digestive system for blockages on the front end.

I just called the state. They'll do a necropsy for me. Thankfully it's cold outside so I put her out there in a ziploc bag- only to accidentally knock her over when I went to sweep the porch. They charge $61 here for up to 6 birds.

Since I've only had her a month I think the official necroppsy is the way to go. Especially since I hatched out quail chicks from eggs and they live the basement as well, separate area but eventually they'll be integrated.

The hens aren't laying well at all, considering they're in a basement with enough light, but when I got them they were in very rough condition with wounds, from an overcrowded situation. I was getting 3-4 eggs a day from 8 hens. Then again I'm not sure exactly how old they are.

I just went down to get a cooler to put the dead bird in. It looks like I have another one about to die.

I took her out from the others, tried giving her some water. She looks very tired and sleepy with labored breathing. Any ideas on what to do?

separate her give her own food, water and heat lamp. I've not had much illness among my birds so I can't offer any experienced advice. Were it me I would try to bleach out the cage and leave it in the sun for 6-8 hours to disinfect.

I just did a thorough clean out of their cage yesterday. But I'll do it again today.

We're in the midst of a giant snow storm here so- there's no sun to let it out in. It's just going to have to settle for being cleaned out again.

I'm hoping not to find any dead birds on this trip down to the basement.

I made the quail some scrambled quail eggs earlier hopefully to boost them up a bit.

I really don't want to loose everyone.

Off to clean again.

In the last half hour I lost another quail. I thoroughly, or as thoroughly as I could cleaned out the existing quail cages. So far no one else is showing any symptoms. The latest death though- she seemed very bony to me as her breast bone was protruding. I'm suspecting worms of some sort. I'm going to do a fecal on the remaining quail to see what exactly is going on. So now I have 2 birds for the state to conduct necropsies on. This is not a good quail day.

If the birds is very thin, most likely it is worms. And because this is the second one you have lost in short order, worms seems very probable. And because it has been so cold at your place, the lack of meat on their bones will freeze them to death. I would get some Wazine and worm everybody as soon as possible. 1 ounce per one gallon of water for one day. Just because they all look good today, doesn't mean you won't lose more soon. Sorry for your losses.

The quail are inside my basement- so they've been at a warm 65 degrees here. Prior to that they were outside.

I put the natural wormer I use for my chickens in their water. And when I went down I had 6 eggs from them. That's the most eggs I've ever had in a day. I was told when I bought them that they were just dewormed. I really question that as they haven't been exposed to any outside elements (aren't on the ground).

Weird thing: my quail weren't into scrambled eggs. When I feed my chickens scrambled eggs they can't eat them fast enough.

I'm wondering if it's okay to eat the eggs laid today? Or should I just toss them?

Back
Top Bottom