CAUTION! Pics may disturb. Abscess on my rooster?

He is about a year and a half. When I picked him up I did not ask if he was vaccinated for Marek's..my guess would be that he was not.

Thanks, definitely something to look in to.

Are you sure that he pecked at them and opened them up himself. Is he kept on his own or in a flock.

He is with 4 other hens and I checked their beaks and no signs that they had done anything to him. He seemed pretty bothered himself and I've watched him try and turn his head at it. The only reason I think he hasn't got to the other ones is because he can't reach them.

Last edited:
It's good news that he isn't skinny but inclined to think that they are either itchy or painful if he has opened them up himself, poor lad.
I will be interested to hear what your veterinary contacts suggest if you don't mind updating the thread. The only thing I would suggest is keeping them, clean and perhaps covering the open wound with a dressing and vetwrap/cohesive bandage. Another member on here recently had a large gaping wound on her hen that had been caused by a roosters spur. It was huge and horrific looking. She treated it initially with honey and then granulated white sugar under the dressing and she used stockingette to hold the dressing in place. It healed up beautifully. I can try to find the thread if you would like more info on that.

It's good news that he isn't skinny but inclined to think that they are either itchy or painful if he has opened them up himself, poor lad.
I will be interested to hear what your veterinary contacts suggest if you don't mind updating the thread. The only thing I would suggest is keeping them, clean and perhaps covering the open wound with a dressing and vetwrap/cohesive bandage. Another member on here recently had a large gaping wound on her hen that had been caused by a roosters spur. It was huge and horrific looking. She treated it initially with honey and then granulated white sugar under the dressing and she used stockingette to hold the dressing in place. It healed up beautifully. I can try to find the thread if you would like more info on that.

That would be a great resource! I will try to keep updated here and see if I can bandage him up and stop him from continuing to peck at it

Here is an update:

A vet friend came over to look today and we gave him some antibiotic's. he is still perky and eating quite a bit so I am happy with that. we tried to draw from what we still think is some kind of abscess or cyst and we drew nothing..no blood or puss. I am questioning what it could be filled with because it feels soft and the needle went in easy but it was dry. Right now just planning on waiting it out here for a couple days and look for more symptoms that are questionable. Thanks for all the help so far everyone!

I do have another question. when we look at the one he popped it looked like he pecked it down to the bone at the front of his wing, whats the best way to stop the blood and treat it so that it doesn't get even more infected. I now have some chlorhexadine but my friend advised me not to do that if you can see the bone. any more thoughts on this??

Thanks!

Hi

Maybe just flush it with a sterile saline solution. My vet once told me that using a trigger sprayer to irrigate wounds is really good because the pressure of liquid hitting the site helps to get into any pockets and flush out debris/anything bad without the scrubbing action on the damaged tissue associated with conventional cleaning with a dressing. Certainly works great for horses wounds although I've always used diluted Chlorohexidine in the spray bottle.

As regards trying to draw the abscess, I understand that puss in chickens is not liquid like you would expect but a cheesy textured solid, so s needle wouldn't draw it out. Probably better to cut it open and physically remove like you would with bumblefoot, but see how you go with the antibiotics first.

Fingers crossed the antibiotics help and I would have some probiotics ready to give him once the course is finished... or fermented feed.... to help his gut get back to normal.

Best wishes

Barbara

Back
Top Bottom