CAYANNE PEPPER?? NEED SOME HELP AND ADVICE

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenman101, Mar 4, 2009.

1. chickenman101

chickenman101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    i have heard that cayanne pepper is ok to give to your chickens? is this true? what benefits does it have? will it hurt them? how much should i give?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  2. roosty

roosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Georgia
    Yes it is ok to give it. It wont hurt them they actually like it. Its suposed to help them lay better. you can just give it to them sprinkled over their food.

3. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:I read that it is a natural wormer too. Is that true?

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    does it have to be cayanne pepper or will any spicy hot pepper do?

5. LauraM

LauraM Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    Everett, WA
    I just heard someone give a talk about this, unfortunately I don't remember the exact details. Something like, 1 tsp per gallon water in works the same as a certain antibiotic from the feed store. It seems like it was for a bacterial infection, not worms, but I could be mistaken. I am certain that it is used as a remedy for something in particular,

6. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I use crushed red sprinkled liberally over their food. It does seem to kick up their laying a bit- and they love it. I've read that any hot pepper will do the trick....

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I used it in there water to help production in the winter. I really dont think they like it but it works

8. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    It also does help with worms . I buy the cheap stuff 2 bottles for 1.00 at walmart . It will kick up their egg production. Chickens don't have taste buds so it is not hot to their mouths just jump starts their metabolism .

9. Tad

Tad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    we have little chile pequin plants that pop up all over the farm from the mocking birds that eat them, my sussex hens eat them like crazy, then wipe their beaks on the ground and go back for more, these are pretty spicy peppers, a little higher than cayannes on the scoville chart, they havent started to lay yet so I am not sure of the effects if any!!

10. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Any of the hot peppers will do. But not peppercorns - those are from a different type of plant. I use cayenne mostly, because I grow it every year. I dry it, grind it in a blender - then cook with it and share it with the chickens. [​IMG]

I prefer to mix it in the feed - 1/2 tsp dry, ground pepper per cup of feed.

1/2 tsp of cayenne added to 1/2 cup buttermilk or yogurt is good for diarrhea.

Benefits are:

Hot pepper is high in vitamins C and A. It helps to protect the intestines from damage due to bacteria and protozoa and has some bactericidal and protozoan suppression activity. It acts as a tonic.

The active ingredient is capsaicin. According to herbal remedies, when taken internally capsaicin can warm the body, raise metabolism, improve weak digestion and increase circulation.

I've read other material that says its a natural wormer as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by