Cayenne pepper for warmth?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tenderkat, Dec 3, 2009.

1. tenderkat

tenderkat Chillin' With My Peeps

A neighbor friend of mine just suggested that I sprinkly cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes into my chickens feed over the winter. She said that it raises their body temperature and help keeps them warm. Amyone ever heard of this? If so, what is an appropriate amount to use?

2. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I dont beleive it. Not for a minute. Eat a scooop of cayenne break a good sweat and go outside and see how much it helps.

I have in fact heard ( I dont beleive it either) the opposite that eating Cayenne in the summer has a cooling effect. If hot food or spice heats one up why is it all the tropical countries use so much spice in thier food

ON the other hand I am sure it doesnt hurt either.

3. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I know I take a cayenne pepper hot drink most mornings as it is excellent for the heart. But the hot drink is what gets it going for the internal heat rise that I feel as absorption is instant. I don't know about it just plain. But I do know that my girls really eat up when red pepper is in the mix.

4. buglit

buglit Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    I think that it is good for increasing metabolism which would increase warmth

5. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Old wives tale. It would not work the same on chickens as people. So no it will not work.

6. verycherry

verycherry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    It will definately keep the mice and rats out of the feed though, so it won't hurt. Chickens don't feel the heat like mammals do. My chickens got into my pepper patch last year and ate some, and they were so hot I couldn't even eat them.

7. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Red peppers are high in Vitamin C .I give my chickens red peppers not to heat their body but for the C.
    Chickens do not have the receptors to detect it is hot.Thats why it doesnt bother them to eat hot peppers.

8. lngrid

lngrid Chillin' With My Peeps

I've read here at BYC that the tried-and-true method for heating birds through feed is to use cracked corn. It's so effective in raising body temperatures that it can be fatal for birds living in hot weather.

Cayenne may raise the temperature of humans but it's also related to weight-loss, which I wouldn't think you'd want for chickens living in the cold, and it may have a different effect on their systems anyway.

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:I thought this bit of nonsence had finally died but apparently not. Chickens, like humans, have metabolic sysyems that regulate body temperature. Corn is a source of readily available carbs which make it easier for the body to maintain normal temps but it does not "raise the body temperature" & it certainly isn't fatal regardless of the weather. This is the biggest problem with the internet, anyone can post anything. Because something is posted doesn't make it true. I've read on the internet that we never actually went to the moon & that JFK is still alive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by