cayenne pepper ? ? ? ?

I have been feeding cayenne, chili pepper with no change in my chickens laying habbits, or worms(never had any before or with the pepper.
However they do love to try to pick the small flakes out. So it does give them something too do. I have used both flakes and powder.

yippiechickie.gif
I put cayenne pepper in their feed last night ! Voila ! I have a beautiful brown egg this morning.
wee.gif

So . . . . I guess I posted too soon, eggs must have been in the works all a long
th.gif

Well, I'm sold on the idea. Cayenne pepper is going in my chicken feed this week. Shoot, if nothing else, its kinda like marinating a bird for the long term.

Enola, some of my hens appeared to have gone through a "mini-molt" this spring. It was lighter and over faster than the fall molt, but I'd seen a drop in egg production, then noticed some very ratty looking hens, then they looked nice again, then eggs re-appeared.

I also had added, near the end of the fall molt black oil SF Seeds, and increased protein from 16% up to 20%, then backed it down to 18%, where it seems like the best level for my flock, at least until the summer bug feast begins.

I added cayenne to the feed when they had the early spring slow-down. I don't know if it helps, but I didn't know how much, and I'm not giving anywhere near as much as was suggested here, so maybe I will increase that.

I'm an avid user of herbs and natural remedies whenever possible. Most of my research has been geared toward humans. I know cayenne is a wonderful anti-infective, boosts the immune system, and it's a good for boosting metabolism.

jvls1942, what breeds naturally quit laying in the spring, unless they're molting or brooding? I've never encountered or heard of any breed that quits laying when the weather gets better. Only a very few remain that quit for the winter, except when they molt. Some slow down a bit, but few just up and quit, if dietary needs are met.

Jonesgirl- I have never noticed a difference in egg taste. I do use a lot of it 3 times a week.

katrinag-Never thought of chili flakes. How is it working? better yet PM me and let me know.
hide.gif

Quote:
So, it is ok to give them egg shells? I thought it might make them eat their eggs . . .or is it the egg cooked itself?

You can bake the egg shell in the oven at 200 degrees for awhile till they get super crispy the grind them up and add it to the there feed. I grind them up and add them to scrambled eggs that I feed.
DO NOT give them the whole shell.

Back
Top Bottom