Cayuga Drake w/Angel Wing?

SmithsCoop41

Chirping
Sep 29, 2023
Good Morning Y'all,

So, I'm surely not an expert, but when one of my babies gets sick or injured, I try to do some research and figure out what may be going on, and after searching online, I'm pretty sure my Cayuga Drake,"Pretty Boy", may have a case of Angel Wing. I have attached a picture for reference (his left wing), so maybe someone can clarify/verify whether or not it is indeed Angel Wing or maybe something else going on that maybe can be fixed/reversed. It clearly isn't lying flat against his body like it should be. I must admit that I've been seeing it like that for a little while now, but I have never dealt with this condition before, and other than it being mentioned by people here and there, I really didn't know what it was, just knew something looked a little off with that one wing. I just figured he might've got his "feathers ruffled" or out of place by rumbling with the other drakes over the hens. All of my ducks are free range, but they usually make their rounds back to the coop area every day. I bought him from someone back on January 27th of this year, and he was already at mature age, and his wing wasn't like that THEN. When I asked the seller back in January how old he was, I was told he was hatched out by them, he was between 1.5-2 years old, but not quite 2 yet....that was back in January, and it's May now, so I'm guessing he's at least the 2 year milestone by now. I always try to find out all the information I can about the animal, such as if they have any problems/issues/illnesses, why the seller is wanting to re-home or sell, and certainly their age (especially if a person is looking to hatch any ducklings out - which I did get him with that in mind to get a Cayuga hen later on), and as I said his wing wasn't like that when I bought him. So....My first question is: Since he's only 2-ish and it looks like it isn't extremely sticking out, is this something that can be corrected? ? I've read that if you catch it in time, it can be, but if the bones have been like that for awhile, you can't and they will be like that permanently. I know online I read that once the bones have been like that for a significant amount of time, they wouldn't be able to fly anymore if need be. My second question is: would that be the only downfall of him having it, or is it something that just keeps getting worse and worse until they die? We live in the country, so there's woods all around us, and even though they are free range, as far as I know, we've never had an issue with predators attacking or killing any of my babies, so not any real need to be able to fly away. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Cayuga.jpg
    Cayuga.jpg
    640.7 KB · Views: 25
It really doesn't look like angel wing where the wing tip sticks out like a hitch hikers thumb I wonder if its an injury where maybe he falpped his wing up against something and hurt it.
Angel wing will not kill them it is purely cosmetic. If the wing sticks out a lot they can get it caught on fencing etc and clipping the feathers can help there. If it turns out to be angel wing which I have my doubts but you can always wait till he molts his flight feathers and once they begin growing back in wrap then It won't do any good to wrap now it has to be when the feathers are growing back in. And I have only heard of one person saying it worked on an adult and she hasn't been on BYC for many years.
I am still leaning to an injury

It really doesn't look like angel wing where the wing tip sticks out like a hitch hikers thumb I wonder if its an injury where maybe he falpped his wing up against something and hurt it.
Angel wing will not kill them it is purely cosmetic. If the wing sticks out a lot they can get it caught on fencing etc and clipping the feathers can help there. If it turns out to be angel wing which I have my doubts but you can always wait till he molts his flight feathers and once they begin growing back in wrap then It won't do any good to wrap now it has to be when the feathers are growing back in. And I have only heard of one person saying it worked on an adult and she hasn't been on BYC for many years.
I am still leaning to an injury
Thank you for the info, and I was kinda thinking maybe it wasn't neither or maybe at the least just hadn't progressed to any worse yet. I'll try to catch him and see if I can do him a look-over and see. Thank you and have a good weekend and safe Memorial Day!

Thank you for the info, and I was kinda thinking maybe it wasn't neither or maybe at the least just hadn't progressed to any worse yet. I'll try to catch him and see if I can do him a look-over and see. Thank you and have a good weekend and safe Memorial Day!
Thank you, and same to you!

Back
Top Bottom