cayuga duck thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by holm25, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

Very pretty ducks.

Doesn't look like Pansy has angel wing? hard to tell how far it's sticking out though from that angle. Only thing I can rec is when she molts out her flight feathers and they just begin to start growing back in wrap just like you would for angel wing and see if that helps. Feather could have gotten damaged at some point when growing in and next molt maybe it will work itself out. You'll just have to keep a close eye on it so if it looks like it's coming in different you can wrap. Usually only takes less than a week to fix.

Table4Six likes this.
  2. Table4Six

Table4Six Crossing the Road

May 22, 2012
    Ok, thanks. I'll give it a few more weeks to see if it will correct itself, and if not I'll try rapping her wing.

3. Miss Lydia

I am not sure wrapping would do any good till she molts out these feathers and starts growing new ones. I guess you could give it a try though. If needed.

4. Table4Six

May 22, 2012
    I was thinking the same thing. Waiting till she molts would be more efficient, but in the mean time it might be worth a shot to rap it now.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  5. Table4Six

May 22, 2012
    So, I've decided to wait until Pansy molts to wrap her wing, because it is clearly uncomfortable when her wing is not sticking out due to her wing growing that way. I think it will be easier if when she molts and new feathers come in I'll wrap her wing to ensure it grows in the proper position.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Love that avatar :love

Table4Six likes this.
  7. NHDuckMom

NHDuckMom In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Our Cayuga duck, Shadow, figured out how to fly out of her pool this morning. She is 3 months old. shadow_flying15.jpg shadow_flying10.jpg

8. Miss Lydia

Did she leave the enclosure?

Cool pics

9. NHDuckMom

NHDuckMom In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2017
    New Hampshire
    The enclosure is fully enclosed with a roof, so she couldn't fly out!

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. Table4Six

May 22, 2012
    :lol: It's my Jumbo Pekin hen's baby picture. She is absolutely huge at 5 months old!

Shadow is so cute! At least you have an entirely enclosed pen with a roof, so she can still stretch her wings without you having to worry about her accidentally escaping. My Cayuga hen, Pansy is way to heavy to fly, lol.

NHDuckMom likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: