cayuga duck thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by holm25, Apr 23, 2014.

1. a little chiken

a little chiken Songster

Sep 28, 2013
    Tucson Arizona
    My duck flock is all still too young to lay. I have a very modge podge of ducks for enjoyment purposes.. I would like to get show quality Cayuga ducks and the Roman Tuffed Geese. I hope my boys will want to show in 4-H but Idk. I cannot show any longer due to medical issues but I love raising them.

2. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Songster

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Ours are outside as adults. The four dogs run out and play while they free range and do great with them. We start socializing when the ducklings are a day old. covered up in our hands so the dogs can smell but not touch. When they are locked up our one dog breaks into the coop and lets them all out because she wants to eat the scraps we give them! lol

1 person likes this.
  3. DisneyGal25

DisneyGal25 Chirping

May 3, 2014

Thanks for the input! Hopefully our dog will do the same! Glad to hear they can be raised I'm harmony!

4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    10 DAYS TILL THE DUCKS ARE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

5. earlyredrooster

earlyredrooster Songster

Apr 19, 2014
    Harrisburg, Ar
    [​IMG]
    Bonnie and Clyde our two Cayuga ducks. They earned their names because they steal all the chickens treats. Lol

1 person likes this.
  6. QueenQuack

QueenQuack In the Brooder

May 1, 2014
    One week in the books with us, and boy they sure grow fast!!!!

Tina, the little one (as we hope she is in fact a she) is starting to make some weird half quacking noises, and Ike, the big one has the legs of an Olympic swimmer!!

They have doubled in height, We certainly didnt expect that, and now that they are on gamebird/duck starter, dont seem to be constantly hungry.

[​IMG]

7. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Songster

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    I can't wait for mine to hatch although mine are only for a test .

Im trying to make black headed rouens :)

8. tbishop

tbishop Chirping

Feb 12, 2013
    [​IMG]

Took this yesterday- the three remainders with their toulouse shepherd...

9. Starfire669

Starfire669 Songster

Mar 31, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas
    I am getting 2 Cayuga female ducklings this Thursday. I special ordered through a feedstore that orders hundreds of birds a week from a hatchery. Ordering 10 ducklings at once would have been too much for me. I got some crested ducks about 10 days ago and love them. 1 is a tiny black female that is an outcast because the others are white and twice her size. Since I wanted Cayugas and felt she needed black companions I took the opportunity to order some girls to keep Ebony company. Ebony is currently injured, the Pekin drake that came with the cresteds, forced her to mate a few days ago. he is gone now but Ebony still can't walk, she was using her wing to help her scoot around. I have her in my nursery with 2 African goslings that have snuggled up with her. She will most likely still be there when the ducklings arrive. She isn't aggressive in any way, will she get on OK with her new babies?
    Also the feedstore ordered 6 males and 6 females, if I added a baby Cayuga drake would he turn out as violent as the Pekin?

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  10. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    i have cayugas coming thursday also!!!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: