Cayuga Ducks? Info anyone??

LovinMyPeeps

Sees Wine Dots
10 Years
Mar 22, 2009
Heuvelton, NY
Hey there, I live North of the Finger Lakes region of NY and want to raise some ducks for my friend. She has an absolutely gorgeous pond and wants to set some duckies up in totally spoiled style ((duck house, heated coop for winter... etc)) Will cayugas try to fly away or are they domestic? Is it hard to find cayuga eggs for sale? I have a very nice incubator/brooder and would raise them until they were old enough to be at the pond. Any thoughts? Do they make good pets? If handled a lot by me would they be pretty tame??? Thanks!!

My hen does not fly but maybe five - ten feet. Quiet, and pretty calm, although she loves to nag my drake. There are other members with actual flocks of cayugas so im hoping they will b ehere soon to help you more
smile.png

I have quite a few Cayuga's, they do not fly and stay just out of reach. Like any other domestic duck, they will sort of follow you around the yard watching you from a distance. My Cayuga's are not laying right now but I am sure they will be shortly. I had two that laid eggs well into November. Here is a picture of a couple:
37433_img_1154.jpg

we have them in black, blue and an ocational silver (splash) we sell eggs and ducklings.
As all have mentioned, fying is very minimal in these, they are a large breed duck and therefore dont fly well. They, if hand rasied will be very tame, pretty tame even without it. Great for a pet breed. Easy to care for, handle winters very well..etc.

IMG_0716.png

IMG_0711.png

IMG_0786_new.png

Hi there,
We are in the Philadelphia area and have 3 ducks. One female Welsh Harlequin, one male Pekin and one male Cayuga. The Cayuga, Loki, is by far my favorite. Loki is beautiful and while all of them will hand feed, he is the only one of the three to socialize. He was hatched with torticollis, so I hand fed meds and vitamins to him so I guess he's used to me.

Good luck!

I have Cayuga's. They spend their days in a small pond. Here they are about one month old:
IMG_0321.jpg

It's always a struggle to get them in at night. However they don't fly at all. They are not "pets" and will shy away from a person, or even a chicken, if approached.

Quote:
They're beautiful! Do you sell eggs?

Yes, I do sell eggs, once they start to lay and the fertility is good. I always check the fertility for a couple weeks before I start to sell.

Back
Top Bottom