cayuga ducks with an afro head

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Big D Tapp, May 23, 2017.

1. Big D Tapp

Big D Tapp Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2017
    Does anyone have any information on a Cayuga duck with a ball of fur on its head. One picture is of 5 ducklings, about 2 weeks old with 1 of them with a ball of fur on its head and the second picture is of a single baby duck at 2 days old with a ball of fur on its head. I have 1 drake and 3 hens. So all together I have had 9 baby ducks born in the past 2 weeks and I have 2 more duck eggs sitting under a Speckled Sussex hen at this time. Maybe 1 of the 3 hens has the Crested gene. Any feed back would be helpful.

Attached Files:

2. Ironsentryfarms

Ironsentryfarms Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2017
    Michigan
    Yes, I got in crested cayugas and they look just like your chicks!! I love the little ball of fluff on their heads it makes them look so cute.

3. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    someone is carrying the crested gene which isn't ideal. underneath that crest is a skull that has a little space between it which leaves the duck prone to head injuries from my understanding... it isn't ideal and if the duck turns out to be a hen breeding can cause injury or death...most breeders don't continue breeding hens or drakes that carry the crested gene. just an fyi

Big D Tapp likes this.
  4. Ironsentryfarms

May 5, 2017
    Michigan
    Wow I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing!

5. Big D Tapp

Big D Tapp Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2017
    I am curious now because of the 3 hens I have 1 that does not have any color or tint to her any where. The other 2 hens have a color to the end of there wings depending on the sun and what angle you see them from. I wonder if my third hen is a black crested duck runner? I originally got them from a farm at www.idealpoultry.com and they list black crested duck runners on there list to sell.

6. BirdNerdSophie

BirdNerdSophie Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2017
    Surrey, UK.
    The crest is fatty tissue that is covering a gap in the skull and sprouts feathers. Having the crest can lead to neurological problems later in life like seizures. I have a couple of 2 year old cresteds and luckily no problems for them as of yet. Good luck with your little ones!

Big D Tapp likes this.
  7. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I've had a few runners born with crests, they are cute as buttons, and yes, the characteristic stays with them their whole life. However as other posters have mentioned ot is a genetic defect. I've never had any "die young" on me, they have all lived full lives, but I wouldn't breed them.

chickens really and Big D Tapp like this.
  8. Ironsentryfarms

May 5, 2017
    Michigan
    That is where ours came from as well, and our ducklings look exactly like yours do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by