cayuga ducks with an afro head

Big D Tapp

In the Brooder
May 22, 2017
Does anyone have any information on a Cayuga duck with a ball of fur on its head. One picture is of 5 ducklings, about 2 weeks old with 1 of them with a ball of fur on its head and the second picture is of a single baby duck at 2 days old with a ball of fur on its head. I have 1 drake and 3 hens. So all together I have had 9 baby ducks born in the past 2 weeks and I have 2 more duck eggs sitting under a Speckled Sussex hen at this time. Maybe 1 of the 3 hens has the Crested gene. Any feed back would be helpful.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1495555647565[1].jpg
    FB_IMG_1495555647565[1].jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 20170517_194805[1].jpg
    20170517_194805[1].jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 97
someone is carrying the crested gene which isn't ideal. underneath that crest is a skull that has a little space between it which leaves the duck prone to head injuries from my understanding... it isn't ideal and if the duck turns out to be a hen breeding can cause injury or death...most breeders don't continue breeding hens or drakes that carry the crested gene. just an fyi

someone is carrying the crested gene which isn't ideal. underneath that crest is a skull that has a little space between it which leaves the duck prone to head injuries from my understanding... it isn't ideal and if the duck turns out to be a hen breeding can cause injury or death...most breeders don't continue breeding hens or drakes that carry the crested gene. just an fyi

Wow I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing!

I am curious now because of the 3 hens I have 1 that does not have any color or tint to her any where. The other 2 hens have a color to the end of there wings depending on the sun and what angle you see them from. I wonder if my third hen is a black crested duck runner? I originally got them from a farm at www.idealpoultry.com and they list black crested duck runners on there list to sell.

The crest is fatty tissue that is covering a gap in the skull and sprouts feathers. Having the crest can lead to neurological problems later in life like seizures. I have a couple of 2 year old cresteds and luckily no problems for them as of yet. Good luck with your little ones!

I am curious now because of the 3 hens I have 1 that does not have any color or tint to her any where. The other 2 hens have a color to the end of there wings depending on the sun and what angle you see them from. I wonder if my third hen is a black crested duck runner? I originally got them from a farm at www.idealpoultry.com and they list black crested duck runners on there list to sell.

That is where ours came from as well, and our ducklings look exactly like yours do.

Back
Top Bottom