Cayuga Mysteriously Died

megsjo

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 22, 2018
I have eleven ducks in a tractor that I move around my yard because we have a high population of predators. We’ve only just discovered migrating bears and mountain lions, which is super fun since we live in Middle Tennessee. We dont use pesticides, i give them about four cups of scratch a day in addition to a non gmo duck, turkey, chicken feed that they always have access to. I refill their swimming pool every day because i took out their waterer because i was sick of refilling a 10 gallon waterer every two hours when they splashed all the water out. They sleep in a large, very secure coop that is well ventilated and I sweep clean once a week. Yesterday I looked out the window and my cayuga was laying on the ground gasping. I ran outside and got him out but he was already dead. He wasnt very nice to the other ducks, he was the most aggressive, and he had been distancing himself from the other ducks for a couple of days but he was eating and drinking, swimming, digging in the mud, etc. I dont understand how he could have died so quickly with no signs. Now today one of my khaki campbell hens is hopping on one foot and distancing herself from the rest of the ducks, and my favorite Ancona hen, Big Lou, is developing a slight limp. I have no idea what is going on, but I'm terrified I’m going to lose them all. My khaki campbell’s leg is swinging when she hops on the other so I'm starting to think it’s broken, but she wont let me touch her and I’m afraid I’ll just hurt her if I try to get her out. What can be done for a duck with a broken leg?

Sorry about your loss. :hugs Tennesse offers free or low cost necropsies I think. If you want to knw the cause of death I would call them and ask for info on how to ship deceased waterfowl. They will usually let you use their FedEx account which will save lots on shipping. Of course if you live close enough you could just drop off your duck.
https://vetmed.tennessee.edu/vmc/dls/Pages/default.aspx

What can be done for a duck with a broken leg?
You need to catch her and figure out which bone is broken. Fractures below the femur can be fixed if they aren't too bad.
duckleg_1.jpg

https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Attachments

• Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom