Cayuga tail curl

Duckstable

Chirping
Jan 24, 2022
Does anyone know if cayuga males develop their tail curl later than other breeds? I hatched 4 ducklings 3 months ago and I'm impatiently waiting to see what sex they all are.

I'm sure I saw somewhere that drakes get their curls between 8-12 weeks but I can't seem to find that info again.

:hmm Does anyone know if cayuga males develop their tail curl later than other breeds? I hatched 4 ducklings 3 months ago and I'm impatiently waiting to see what sex they all are.

I'm sure I saw somewhere that drakes get their curls between 8-12 weeks but I can't seem to find that info again.
That's when they SHOULD get them but mine didn't get theirs until MUCH later. I was so excited when I didn't see any curls my first go when 12 weeks came and went but they got theirs late which was disappointing for me.

At that age, you can tell by their sounds. Females will make a distinct quack sound while the drakes will have a raspy whap whap sound.

Are they quacking? I find that it takes a long time for the drake curl to develop. If you post a video of them (upload to Youtube then post here) then we can sex them for you.
Males will have a lower quite voice, almost raspy. Females will have a loud clear traditional duck quack.

That's when they SHOULD get them but mine didn't get theirs until MUCH later. I was so excited when I didn't see any curls my first go when 12 weeks came and went but they got theirs late which was disappointing for me.

At that age, you can tell by their sounds. Females will make a distinct quack sound while the drakes will have a raspy whap whap sound.
I kind of suspected they might be later. It would be too much good luck to have 4 girls.

Unfortunately between the 4 of them and the khaki Campbell's it's a little hard to tell who quacking what.

Guess I'll just keep waiting.

Back
Top Bottom