Cedar & Chickens - advice

Alycat23

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2020
OK, I've seen a lot of conflicting advice everywhere, but the general consensus seems to be that cedar shavings are not good for chickens. OK, I'm on board with that. However, I have a cedar rabbit crate that I was going to use to acclimate my 1.5-2 mo old girls to the outside and before putting them in the big pen with the bigger ladies. Has anyone done this and could I hurt them by doing it? There's plenty of airflow.....

If you take a sniff and don't really smell anything, it's fine, the boards of cedar have less surface area to offgas aromatic oils.

My chicks are raised from day 2-3 in a well ventilated cedar outdoor brooder, on top of a litter mix that includes some well aged cedar chips. There's not a whiff of cedar aroma and the chickens have done fine.

If you take a sniff and don't really smell anything, it's fine, the boards of cedar have less surface area to offgas aromatic oils.

Oh thank you; that’s a huge relief ! I unpacked all the pieces and then thought “oh crap. I’ll never get this back in the box to return if it’s not ok”.

Back
Top Bottom