1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cedar Coop Design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenguardusa, May 19, 2017.

1. chickenguardusa

chickenguardusa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2017
    Texas
    Here is a cedar coop design from a local store Trinity Haymarket. It can also be elevated with a platform. Air flow door in rear: Good to keep open during Texas Summers and closed in Winter. Easy nest box access in back. Has a ChickenGuard installed on front for free ranging along with walk-in size door for easy access inside.

IMG_0988.jpg IMG_0983.jpg IMG_0982.jpg IMG_0981.jpg IMG_0980.jpg IMG_0977.jpg IMG_0978.jpg

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Are you thinking of buying it? Looks expensive . The only other thing is the flooring looks like OSB, I'm not sure how that would work out for cleaning.

chickenguardusa likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I think that for Texas summers, even more ventilation would be good. If that's a roost bar in front of the nest boxes, then its too low - you'd have your flock roosting in the nest boxes.

4. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    I thought that cedar wasn't good for chickens? that it was bad for their lungs? I could have sworn that I'd read that somewhere...

5. jeria

jeria Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2017
    Independence MO
    Also thinking about the cedar issue. Also in the summer heat it would increase the fumes from the cedar. looks nice

6. chickenguardusa

Apr 16, 2017
    Texas
    Yes, I actually didn't get a good picture inside the coop, but it has a ladder style roost. The bar in front of the nest boxes is a jump up perch to get into the nest. But I can see the potential to use it as a roost.

CTKen likes this.
  7. chickenguardusa

Apr 16, 2017
    Texas
    Thanks for the feedback. I believe it has been kiln-dried, which removes the fumes that would emit during the hot Texas Summers.

8. chickenguardusa

Apr 16, 2017
    Texas
    It is actually a new one they had built for the store and asked my feedback. I thought where else could I get the best feedback than here on BYC! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by