Cedar coop... safe?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wornoutmomto3, Jan 29, 2015.

1. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    I am looking to build a new/larger coop in the near future. I am trying to decide on the right plans and materials. I am hoping for some sound advice. I have read in several places about the dangers of using cedar as a bedding material. What I was wondering is about using cedar as the building material: walls, beams, etc. The nest boxes and bedding would be another material such as pine. Is it safe to use cedar this way with chickens? Or should I go a different route? What would you recommend?

2. Mikechickenguy

Mikechickenguy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2014
    I used cedar fence boards and silicone in between to compensate for shrinkage to build the external walls
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Cedar lumber is great...if it's affordable near you, it's the cedar bedding that can be a respiratory problem.

4. ApiaryandAviary

ApiaryandAviary Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    I have read cedar shavings have microbial qualities. But I also read not to be used with babies. So confusing at times for beginners. I use a mix. Just a handful per baby chick cage in with the Aspen.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by