Cedar for roosting boards

CrissyH1984

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2017
Arkansas
I have these cedar boards. They have been cut and drying for about 3 weeks or more. I can’t even really smell them that strongly anymore. Would these be ok to use for roosting bars? The coop is well ventilated .
57A4CD09-8A41-4EFF-8B9F-8E3FA7F40A6F.jpeg

Are they eastern red cedar or some other type of cedar. Lots of trees go by the name cedar.
They may be OK if you keep the ventilation wide open.

I didn’t think about them being too thin, thanks. I’m not sure if they are eastern red cedar or not. Oh well on to the next plan lol.

I see you are in Arkansas so likely they are Eastern Red Cedar. They are quite aromatic.
If you want to use them, you could sister the boards. Glue two or three together and secure with a couple screws.

Last edited:
My head is about to explode There is so much information to sift through. What is the best wood to use for roosting bars?

I see you are in Arkansas so likely they are Eastern Red Cedar. They are quite aromatic.
If you want to use them, ycould sister the boards. Glue two or three together and secure with a couple screws.
They are very aromatic! They are really too short for what I want to do. Thank you for the idea.

Back
Top Bottom