Celadon development

CovidtimeQuail

Highly quailified
Nov 28, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Is there something different about celadon coturnix quail development? Seems like everyone I spoke to that has them has hens that don't lay. I have mine set up with long hours of artificial light, lots of fresh mealworms and the horniest roo I have. The roo thinks she's a great buddy but has no clue it's a hen. And, of course, no eggs from her either. She is 15 weeks old.

Last edited:
Just as I posted this, the roo decided to try to ride the celadon hen. She was like "hey what?!" and he was like "Oh, sorry, accidentally bumped into you. Nothing intended."

Which is SO unlike this roo. But, at least I'm a little more convinced there is hope.

Just as I posted this, the roo decided to try to ride the celadon hen. She was like "hey what?!" and he was like "Oh, sorry, accidentally bumped into you. Nothing intended."

Which is SO unlike this roo. But, at least I'm a little more convinced there is hope.

I am so sorry to find this funny! It reminds me of when our current rooster (dinner this spring) tried to flirt with a hen. She gave him the stink eye, so he instantly stopped and backed away. He watched her sashay on with this look of, “Oh, okay! Umm...Call me later?”

Boys can be so stupid, I swear.

As for the quail, I’m interested in getting some in the future. I’m sorry I have no advice to share, but this was interesting to peak at. 😊

My 1 celadon male has 8 hens, and I set 45 eggs which I locked down today. I did not candle before I set them, and today I candled, 100% fertile, 2 early quitters, 1 mid quitter, one late quitter. 100% with 8 hens. My celadon hens lay every day or just about, and if I start not getting an egg, I begin figuring out who the culprit is, and they better get with the program before I figure it out, because this isn’t a charity haha, no free lunch.

Back
Top Bottom