Celiacs patients/sufferers!!!! Check this out!

PaulaJoAnne

Songster
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
We (myself, my father and 2 of my sils) took the plunge, and tested ourselves on real homemade sourdough bread a couple of months ago.
All of us react to gluten, from mild to severe.
Guess what?
We are all ysmptom free on sourdough!!!!!!!

The following is an exerpt from a note I sent to a friend this morning.

Up until the last century, breads were made by using a sourdough starter.
Industrialization came along, and the push for fast foods propelled the usage of instant yeast.
As with most other modern diseases, Celiacs used to not be an issue for the general population.
The fermentation process that gluten containing grains goes through when sourdough is made, makes a signifcant change to the grains.
The Phytic Acid is neutrilized, eliminating the damage done to teeth ( cavities ) and the damage to the gut, which allows the gluten protiens to leak thru the gut wall into the body.
A brief look at a profound historical document reveals a great deal of what modern processing/preperations have done to the human body.
http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200251h.html
In our journey to returning to traditional foods, I came across two seperate studies on the affect of sourdough on the celiac patient. All test subjects were able to consume sourdough symptom free!
2 months ago, I tested myself with a slice of homemade sourdough bread. In the past, if I ate any gluten, I would get very sick. Extreme fatigue and muscle and joint pain were my main
symptoms. I was symptom free with the first slice, and continue to eat sourdough today, free of all troubles.
My father who has a very severe reaction to gluten has also been able to eat it symptom free, as well as my husbands two sisters, who are gluten intolerant.

I will continue to use gluten free flours/grains/beans for cakes, cookies and pie crusts..........

Thanks!
Good to be back!
Our computer died several months ago, and we stayed free of one till Dividends were paid out.

I like the idea of a good sourdough recipe...
Then i could always have it on hand whenever i wanted a quick loaf of bread..

Quote:
lau.gif

It takes very little time to make the bread, however, you have to feed starter every day, and then the bread itself must rise anywhere from 4-12 hours before baking.
Quick but slow.
Best recipe we have found, is the one in Nourishing Traditions. Rye for starter and White Wheat or Spelt for the bread.

Quote:
lau.gif

It takes very little time to make the bread, however, you have to feed starter every day, and then the bread itself must rise anywhere from 4-12 hours before baking.
Quick but slow.
Best recipe we have found, is the one in Nourishing Traditions. Rye for starter and White Wheat or Spelt for the bread.

OOh... darn.. I thought you could just pinch a bit off of the starter and pop it in the oven..
lol.png

Quote:
lau.gif

Quick but slow.

OOh... darn.. I thought you could just pinch a bit off of the starter and pop it in the oven..
lol.png

Well, its similiar to that......
Right before going to bed, you pull of the starter needed, add the salt, flour and cold water, mix in the mixer for several minutes, and then form into loaves and place in pans.
Cover with a towel, and place in a cozy spot for the night.
Stick them in a hot oven in the morning, and you can have hot bread for breakfast!

Quote:
Your welcome!
Just tell her that it must be the homemade version, so she knows its being handled correctly.

Quote:
lol.png

Well, its similiar to that......
Right before going to bed, you pull of the starter needed, add the salt, flour and cold water, mix in the mixer for several minutes, and then form into loaves and place in pans.
Cover with a towel, and place in a cozy spot for the night.
Stick them in a hot oven in the morning, and you can have hot bread for breakfast!

That would work for me!!...
Now where do i get a good starter recipe?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom