Censorship

Status
Not open for further replies.
NiftyChicken has decided that he wants a place where the other word for poo is not allowed. Its his board, I can respect that or move on. But the non smokers feel they have a right to tell the smoking bar owner he can't smoke in the bar he paid for. Thats what I guess I'm griping about.

So, er, let me get this straight -- you are asking how people feel about the standards of language on this board, although you yourself entirely understand and respect Nifty's choices, in order to complain about anti-smoking legislation?

Isn't that sort of like me asking my kids what they want for lunch in order to suggest that they clean their rooms?
wink.png

Pat, amused​

Are you looking for a debate Repo? If so, you're in the wrong place. Another more appropriate and technically correct word for the word you chose to use is feces.
wink.png

Jody

Repobob, howdy! Just wanted to comisserate with you in the most general sense (all restrictions require ungent for all the chafing inflicted - the acceleration due to gravity being my particular `ball and chain').

However, being `owned' by one filter or another is a right of passage these days and one can only hope the replacement word isn't too awfully vapid, but such prose `cuffs' are an effortless `pick'.

My solution (when the whole of the `King's English' doesn't offer an alternative with enough bite, or a substitution that doesn't interfere with my Ersatz Waylon Jenning's lyric rhymes) is to fall back on the infinite utility of the asterisk, e.g., `a big pile of ****. Let the imagination of the reader carry them through the pages of whatever vocabulary they rely on, while you rest easy knowing that you were thinking `huge wad of CASH'. If the reader is of a tender years and yells out something other than the word `CASH' (or similar innocuous word), then the onus is on the parental unit's programming, and certainly not on the supposed intent of the poster.

You can find an example in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=31223&p=1

Check
out Little Chicken Racing Team's link (he's got the burqaed hen avatar). That picture set me off. I couldn't decide if I felt sorry for the chickens, or if I was getting hungry. But there was something Country and Western about the thread itself and my response to it.

I was too tired to `borrow' the `count', and work out the rhymes for either Dolly Parton's Single Bars And Single Women, or David Frizzel's I'm Gonna Hire A Wino (to decorate our home). However, Waylon Jennings and David Allen Coe came to mind and so I went with something quick and generic as I listened to those guys from memory.
The point is: Was I thinking `El Paso'? (no, that would be a Kinky Friedman song)...

I'll end this musing (putting off chainsawing snags that came down the night before last in the wind) by mentioning that even the strictest filtering can't approach the circumscription of the last big PC era in this country (1880's Gilded Age) when Chief Sitting Bull had to be referred to as `The Slightly Recumbent Gentleman Cow', lest `proper' ladies swoon dead away (bull was considered too suggestive thus verboten).

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, it's good to see this thread remain so civil. No concerns with who flung dung...

the last big PC era in this country (1880's Gilded Age) when Chief Sitting Bull had to be referred to as `The Slightly Recumbent Gentleman Cow', lest `proper' ladies swoon dead away (bull was considered too suggestive thus verboten).

People do not give the Victorians enough credit for having a sneaky sense of humor...

wink.png

Pat​

caf.gif

My 7 year old is active on this forum and I don't need him reading bad words
here.

He learns all his bad words from his Dad(dirty mouthed me). I've already explained to him what
these words are, what most of them mean, and why people say them.
I guess I'm just a liberal conservative.

Personally most slang words don't phase me. However, if you use our Lord's name
as a vulgarity, we both take offense.

Words are words. Actions are what counts.

With all that cr*p I just said I agree with the policy here. If I was allowed to use
my regular language I'd offend almost everyone, except for md, repo, & RR.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Ok, can we quit now and get back to chickens? The bad words are going to be removed. Not gonna change that, call it censorship, if you will. You're beating a dead horse here. This is also not the debate forum. I don't like debate forums. I don't like low-class, crass words nor do I like youngsters like Drumstick reading them here. So, I personally don't know what the big deal is. Raise your kids however you wish, but here they will not be exposed to rough language if we can help it. They hear it enough elsewhere. And I doubt our world will come to a screeching halt if we cant say that one single word on the board that started this whole thread.

Do disagree with the two sets of language , one for around the kids and one around the boys. Don't see the necessity for that either. If the only way you can express yourself is vulgar around certain people that does not make anyone a big guy around others. There should be no problem to come to a family forum and use easier words. I myself am a 42 year old male, been in 4 of the tough man fight competitions( love the sport of it but can see where a lot of people don't and don't expect those who don't like it to be there) but everyone that knows me knows that my language is the same with anyone that I am with. I will be respectful in my manners and speech no matter if I am just with the boys or anyone else. It is not a matter of having my free speech infringed upon but a matter of my respect for the people I am in contact with. I am glad this forum is this way and that my nephews and nieces can get on this board without having to worry about the things they are exposed to. Thanks to all the moderators for the effort that you put into this board. Have a Blessed Day T C

Wow, I really don't know what to say.
So rather than reply to what others have said I will just reply in general.

No, I am not trying to debate. I assumed this was a discussion board and thats all I was trying to do. I said at the very beginning of this post his house his rules and if I chose to stay here I chose to obey them. I am not disputing the rules, I just thought we could talk about them. I'm glad the filter is on, as I said several times. I do not condone, nor use vulgar language on a regular basis. I'm not saying I don't ever cuse because I do. My language is different when I'm with the boys goofing off then it is in my home or professional life. I'm really sorry I'm just not as good a person as some of you. I'm just a normal man. Maybe someday I can walk around with a halo around my head like some people, but I doubt it.
I think its time to end this simply by saying I thought the word I originally typed wasn't that bad. Now I know, if I use words such as that I can never be quite as good as you, and that my mear existince is an insult to all you good people.
I truely am sorry if I offended anyone. Please believe that was not my intention. I only call a spade a spade. Another one of my short commings.

Bob

P.S. For those of you that were willing to discuss this in the manner it was ment Thank You. I appreciated hearing your thoughts.
Speckeled Hen, if I offended you again. I did not mean to. I also do not mean to cause you any trouble. I am really trying to be good.
smile.png

Last edited:
I think its time to end this simply by saying I thought the word I originally typed wasn't that bad. Now I know, if I use words such as that I can never be quite as good as you, and that my mear existince is an insult to all you good people.

Bob, the word wasn't one I would have changed, as I said. I think personally it should be the replacement word for a worse one, but, I just didnt think it was worth this much discussion. We've had these types of censorship discussions before, the "why don't I have control over my own words" discussions, etc, and I just don't see the point. Someone thought it should be changed and did, so we'll all just live with it unless someone sees fit to take it off the censor list.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom