Central Illinois/Indiana Breeders?

I am wanting to get chickens (hopefully soon) and I would love to support local breeders over large scale chicken-mills that just mass produce chicks with no real care about the chicky babies. I am basically living on the state border of the two states (Clark County IL, 25 minutes from Terre Haute) listed in the thread's name and I would love to get in contact with local breeders.

I am looking for Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Black Austrolorps, Silkies, or any other kinda layers really lol. I am thinking about building a small coop for a little flock of 6-10 birds to live in my backyard. If you or someone you know breeds any if these birds and live nearby I'd love to get in contact with you :)

Have you checked Craig's List in your area? I do occasionally check my area Craig's just for fun. About this time many local peeps are hatching chicks for spring time raising.
6 to 10 birds will need a medium size coop . JMO. Consider the thumb rule of size requirements. 4 square feet per chicken in coop and 10 square feet per chicken in run. If you will free range in your yard, then it is all good. Consider the predator factor if not in enclosed run. The square foot suggestions are good to follow. Overcrowding will bring about headaches that are better to avoid.
Another thing to keep in mind is to not let the cart get ahead of the horse. Meaning; have housing before getting chickens. :thumbsup
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,, and :welcome

Go to the Indiana thread. Some of our members actually live in Michigan or Illinois--including a wonderful Orpington breeder who lives in the suburbs of Chicago! @Faraday40 She doesn't breed buff Orps, but she does have many other fantastic varieties. If I was closer, I'd be all over her birds because they're the sweetest, fluffiest, most wonderful birds ever. You can also look into Coomer Farms which is in Daleville, IN, right off I-70.

Coomer Farms on Facebook https://m.facebook.com/coomerfarm/

Indiana thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/indiana-bycers-here.730582/page-5390#post-19680185

Back
Top Bottom