Central NY Cooperstown area - 9 hens, 1 roo urgently need home

They should all adjust quickly, chickens are pretty social creatures.
Thanks! Yesterday she went into the run, divided, and just seemed anxious to join the others, she was pacing the length of the divider. Today one of the Buckeyes managed to fly over the 4 ft (but floppy) fence inito her area, and I found the Buff O. and the Buckeye fairly peacefully co-existing. Pecking by the Buckeye, but intermittent. I let that go on awhile, then removed the Buckeye, and soon after the Buff O. flew over the other way! No big brawl at all, there was some investigation and pecking and harassment, but again it's been intermittent, and the Buff O. is appearing very content to be at the bottom of the pecking order, she is submitting, and then moving away when it's too persistent. They aren't roosting together, but I am hopeful it will go smoothly enough. It seems to be going more quickly than I planned, for sure!

I would love to take these and add to my current flock on 120 acre farm in Richfield Springs. Are they still available?
No, but if I find another group in need of rehoming I'll try to reach you. The caretaker did tell two different people about the flock, so they were split up and gone when I checked again, except for one forlorn hen. That one I managed to catch and did end up taking and caring for, I named her Queenie. She thrived and was doing well, but I'm beyond sad that on May 14 she was killed by a hawk. 😭 I think she warned or protected one of the Buckeyes first because that hen was only slightly injured and got away before the hawk set upon Queenie, who was trapped against poultry netting. :hit The flock were Buff Orpingtons. She was a very personable and smart hen, I miss her greatly!

lol I wonder if some of the stores that package your items to ship have containers for that many hens ........I would definately be interested if they did I'm wanting hens but I'm in Missouri. If you discover you could ship them let me know how much it would cost and I might be interested in them.

lol I wonder if some of the stores that package your items to ship have containers for that many hens ........I would definately be interested if they did I'm wanting hens but I'm in Missouri. If you discover you could ship them let me know how much it would cost and I might be interested in them.
LOL but seriously no, shipping would not be possible except by heated truck or plane in a cage or two with food and water. If you wouldn't ship your dog or cat then don't try it with chickens would be a good rule of thumb!

Postage on the last hen i had shipped was $82 and change. A bio-secure box is also needed.

Postage on the last hen i had shipped was $82 and change. A bio-secure box is also needed.
Interesting, thanks.
Update: When I went back to the farm two weeks ago I discovered two groups or families had taken all but one poor lone hen who was in hiding, but whom I managed to catch. She ate and drank a lot as soon as I got her ion a small carrier and she calmed down, and now she has been quarantining in a large brooder and is doing well. I don't think there are any left at that farmhouse, I only saw the one hen's tracks in the snow. So her flock is split up. The homeowner knew a way to contact one of the families, so I made those calls to a person in between, to give them my number and try to reunite her with that part of her flock, but have not heard anything back. I am thinking I will try to integrate her with my existing flock of four Buckeye hens. It may be odd hen out for awhile, but they appear to be similar ages, almost at POL, maybe that will help? I can make a last attempt this weekend to contact that family, but I think they would have called me if they could take her or wanted her.

They are Golden Comets, free. Friend knows the homeowner, there was a caretaker who had them, they may be about a year old, currently need a keeper, the caretaker left without taking the chickens and the homeowner doesn't like chickens. I'd love for them to not end up in freezer camp...can't take any myself, I don't have the facilities. View attachment 2438118
I would love to take these and add to my current flock on 120 acre farm in Richfield Springs. Are they still available?

Back
Top Bottom