ceramic heat emitter (indoor or summer brooding)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mel281, May 23, 2019.

1. Mel281

Mel281 Songster

Mar 8, 2014
    Minneapolis-ish, MN
    Are these a good idea as long as the ambient temp isn't too low? I'm trying to make a mama heating pad, but so far it's not the best and chicks are coming today. I am not a newbie, but it's been a few years and I've only done red 250 W bulbs in the past. Well, now I can't find my regular brooder clamp lamp so I've got to either buy another one and make a stand for it or find another solution.

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Why do you think your MHP isn't the best? They are usually vastly superior to a heat lamp in more ways than one.

Willowspirit likes this.
  3. Mel281

Mel281 Songster

Mar 8, 2014
    Minneapolis-ish, MN
    I'm worried about getting it right. Too high, too low, not enough coverage from the heating pad (should it hang over), is it sloped right, not strong enough so it'll get squished when the go on top
    I have 5 chicks, it's the small or standard size heating pad.

EggSighted4Life likes this.
  4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

I use them... they last longer than standard bulbs. And while my birds all gripe short term when the regular light goes off... they all sleep through the night making both me and them happier.

MHP... wasn't my thing and didn't work out with my need to know personality. Plus I wrapped it with standard plastic wrap instead of the press kind and woke up to find most my babes inside a plastic bubble no doubt about to suffocate. :hmm I might eventually get a brooder plate but for now.. it's ceramic heat emitters all the way. They come in different wattages 75, 100, and 150 when my hubby was picking one up for my turkeys the other day.

Good luck with your new arrivals! :wee

Mel281 likes this.
  5. What you need is the heating pad draped over something supportive with something on top of it. Someone posted about putting.it over a coated wire dish drainer ($ store maybe) with another over it, then cardboard on top. You could raise it by putting it on piece s of wood if you needed to. It doesn't have to be perfect.

6. Mel281

Mel281 Songster

Mar 8, 2014
    Minneapolis-ish, MN
    C08B1336-D237-47FD-B64A-2D613DD0147E.jpeg

7. Mel281

Mel281 Songster

Mar 8, 2014
    Minneapolis-ish, MN
    image.jpg I also have this thing. How high to make it?

8. I would suggest taping the edges of the mesh with duct tape, then put it and the heating pad in a folded towel. You could tape the towel tight to take up the slack inside the cave and voila! The chicks need to fit there more or less. When they are tiny they don't mind huddling together. Be sure and leave room around it so they can get out easily.

To critique my idea since I've never made one i hope will come by @Blooie

9. I lik
    I like the second thing better. Just higher than the chicks. Make it higher later.

Mel281 likes this.
  10. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    DFD426D0-E344-4882-B58C-3920E3E305F7.jpeg

These are my Silkie chicks under their MHP. It was the first time I tried the setup modified the way @Beekissed does it, with the heating pad on the underside of the frame and a pillowcase enclosing the entire setup. @Willowspirit is right about sealing the edges on yours. (Thanks for the tag!) When I use the thin towel on top of mine in my usual system I just put the Press’n’Seal on the top of the towel. Pressing it firmly on the surface of the towel and then just over the edge of the towel has been foolproof for me.

Mel281 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: