Ceramic top or coil-type stove???? Help me pick a stove!!!! HELP!!!!

I bought a ceramic stovetop and I hate it. I spend more time cleaning the top than I did with the coils. I had to go out and buy all new pans when I got it as I was told that if the bottom was not completely flat it would not cook right. Also any grease or marks on the bottom of your pans will cook onto the ceramic top and be difficult to remove. When it was just me cooking and cleaning up it was fine but since my daughter and her children moved in and shes helping with the cooking and cleanup I find I spend even more time cleaning off the ceramic top to keep it just the way I like it. Then the cleaner and conditioner is expensive as well. I did use a pressure cooker on it once or twice but I have not canned with it yet. Major garden failure last year so didnt have anything worth canning.

Is it normal to have to swap racks when cooking a couple of different things in the oven? Turn cookie sheets around so one section of cookies don't get too "done" or burn?

I know that the convection ovens are supposed to take care of any hotspots inside the oven, but is the turning and swapping racks a common aspect of regular ovens? This is one point that my wife brought up that she doesn't like about the current stove, but will we have to get a convection oven to overcome this?

The problem I see with a convection oven is the convection part itself...another electrical circuit to go bad. I like the KISS principle, but....?

Now...did any of that jumbled up writing make sense?
tongue.png

Ed

I have a GE ceramic cook top (my oven is a separate unit) and I love it. Get yourself a can of Bar keeper's Friend (it's in a comet type can) and cleaning it is super easy! I hate the conventional cooktops, it always gets nasty under the burners and they are a pain to clean.

I do canning too, but I use my water bath on the side burner of my barbeque. Don't like all that moisture in the house anyway.

Ever watch the cooking/food networks? The pros use gas, almost 100%. I was shocked to see one use a digitally controlled ceramic one the other day; not sure he is an actual chef, though.

I've had gas most of my adult life; recently went back to coil electric because I didn't want the gas fumes in the house any more. I do miss the control of gas. I'd read so many negative comments about ceramic that I decided to go with coils. I've been on a cast iron kick lately so it's just as well.

I have a glass cook top and I love it. I have had it for probably 10 years now... it looks as good as it did the day we bought it. No scratches, no stains, and it cooks great. We do use a special cleaner and sponge to clean it, but have never had an issue.

Just my 2-cents.

D

I am a canner.... need me a coil top!

Plus my old flat top was brand new at my apt 4 years ago... in 6 months all the digital stuff went CRAZY and the company did not cover that with the warranty! I was soooo mad!!!

I didn't read all the posts but I would NEVER switch from gas to anything. We rent and this Spring our stove gave up the ghost, for just under $700.00 we got a really amazing Frigidaire that is the bee's knees... It looks and works great. Stainless steel and big black grills. WOW !! Go with a gas stove, if it's new there shouldn't be any issues to worry about. We use propane and this Frigidaire is really great for baking, sauteeing and slow simmering. I now make the best rice with the low burner - wow...

GAS, always and forever.

bigmike&nan :

I didn't read all the posts but I would NEVER switch from gas to anything. We rent and this Spring our stove gave up the ghost, for just under $700.00 we got a really amazing Frigidaire that is the bee's knees... It looks and works great. Stainless steel and big black grills. WOW !! Go with a gas stove, if it's new there shouldn't be any issues to worry about. We use propane and this Frigidaire is really great for baking, sauteeing and slow simmering. I now make the best rice with the low burner - wow...

GAS, always and forever.

I have a Frigidaire too, I bet its the same one. It is wonderful. I love it. I upgraded from a cheap electric coil and the gas is soooo much better.​

Back
Top Bottom