chain link fence

Bamagirl0502

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 21, 2011
Once my chicks are old enough I plan on putting them outside in a coop I made out of one of the stalls in my barn. I have built a chain link run for them. Now several people are telling me that chain link isn't safe for the chickens because predators can get to them. I have chain link over the top of the run as well. So should I add chicken wire around the outside as well?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
smile.png

Im Going To Build A Inclosed Pen I Will Be Puting 1/4"Hardware Wire Around The Bottom I Think 3foot High Would Be Good

I have used a 10x10x6 dog kennel run for my chickens for the last two years and nothing has gotten them. Lately I have enclosed part of the back yard using regular chicken wire as well as using the dog kennel and still no losses. It does help that we have a kennel of dogs pretty close to the coop and makes up a part of the fence for the backyard enclosure.

I know I'm overly paranoid.. being an animal lover, I don't want to risk losing any of our kids, so we used that small hardware wire on our run, instead of regular chicken wire. We've been debating on a large chain link dog kennel for our run when we build our fancy coop and I think if we do, we'd use the hardware wire 3' up all the way around.

Last edited:
I totally agree. Hardware cloth is the best.

Quote:
Anything a predator can slip a paw through can be a risk to your flock - even chicken wire! Might want to consider hardware cloth instead.
hu.gif

Both of my dog kennel runs(10x10 and 10x20) are completely wrapped with 1/2" hardware cloth. A little costly, but the peace of mind is priceless. My hoop coop is also completely wrapped with the hardware cloth. All of my runs have a 2' hardware cloth apron around the perimeter of them. Nothing larger that 1/2" is getting in.

This pic was taken before completion of the hardware cloth and the framing around the gate...

42454_roo_pad_003.jpg

A lot depends on the quality of the chain link and what predators you have in your area. Small predators such as rats and weasels can easily pass right through the openings in chain link. If the chain link is lower quality or improperly installed, dogs and even large raccoons could pull it apart and create a hole large enough to get in. Even with a properly installed high quality chain link fence, if the chickens are close enough to the fence raccoons can reach through the fence and pull them out piece by piece (yes, it really is as gruesome as it sounds). Also, chickens can (and do) stick their heads through chain link to pick at things on the other side of the fence which can leave them vulnerable to predators grabbing them and pulling them through the fence (sadly, chickens aren't always as alert to danger as they should be).

I would at least put chicken wire around the bottom 2-3 feet of fence to reduce the risk of reach through predation (raccoons can still get through, but the chicken wire will slow them down a little and hopefully the chickens will be clever enough to move away from the fence). Unless you have weasels/mink in your area that will probably be adequate, but it still isn't predator proof. If you do have weasels I would recommend saving up the money for hardware cloth.

If you put 1/2 inch hardware cloth 2 feet up from the ground, that should stop most varments from reaching in and grabbing your birds. fully enclosing the whole run would be expensive, but if you have the cash, that would be alot better. You also have to consider digging animals. In this case, you would need to bury the hardware cloth a few inches in the ground.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom