Chain link gate fell on hen, prolapsed?

TXChookstead

Songster
Sep 16, 2021
East Texas
Graphic photos below text.

Late Saturday afternoon, I found one of our almost 1-year-old Legbar hens trapped under the chain-link section of a 4' gate. When I ran to get it off of her, it looked as though the force of it had created a prolapse. Poor girl! I quickly read up on prolapse, cleaned, sanitized, and pushed it back in, separated her, have her in dim light, etc.

It has retracted some, but isn't completely in place, and now I am seeing black and gray in some of what is still protruding, along with some pink. I am wondering if the tissue is going necrotic, although there is no smell and no blood. I have used antibiotic cream on what I can see. She is still perky and on her feet.

Could more than the normal prolapsed vent have come out? :(

Trying to decide if we need to let her go mercifully or continue hoping. I don't want her to suffer, and no doubt she already has. Photos were taken after a rinse. The gray is attached to her and not feces, although there is some of that on her feathers below that's the same color.

Attachments

• IMG_20230221_170203.jpg
    IMG_20230221_170203.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230221_170219.jpg
    IMG_20230221_170219.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Do you know how long was she down with the gate on top of her? How is the color in her comb? Is she able to stand and walk, and is she eating and drinking? I would keep the prolapse moist with either honey, sugar and a few drops of water made into a paste, hydrocortisone cream, or vaseline. Is she pooping? Has she laid an egg? It may help to soak her bottom in shallow water with Epsom salts water inside the house. If you don’t have that use table salt 2 tsp per gallon of water. Keep trying to push it in and hold it. The darker parts can be necrotic, but they may be soaked off in her baths. It can take 3 days or so to stop laying if she is in a dark room for 16 hours a day. Sorry this happened.

Thanks so much for your reply! She was down probably no more than 5 minutes. Her comb is a healthy red, and she's eating and drinking...but not much. (She did gobble up some sorghum given her this morning. Guess it was extra tasty.) She is standing and will flap up to my arm when I clean out her container. She is pooping, hasn't laid an egg, thankfully. I did soak with Epsom salts initially, but can do that again to see if that tissue will loosen.

I'll concentrate on keeping things moist. We had to be gone most of the day and I think the protection I put on that area may have been pooped off. Have raw honey, so that's probably the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom