chainsaw needed for shells!

homecatmom

Songster
12 Years
Jul 21, 2007
West Covina, California
I was a skeptic about the taste of fresh eggs from my girls...only till they started laying! I now enjoy 3 eggs each morning (they are still kinda small). The room temperature truly makes a difference in the egg, but what can I do about their harder than rock shells? I have oyster shell out for the girls free-choice and they must be making use of it. My shells are so hard you almost need a hammer and chisel to get into them. I have yet to get an egg on my plate without shell in it. Sometimes I have to whack it so hard on the side of the bowl that I ruin the perfect yolk in the process. I don't know about you all, but I don't really care to "crunch" my eggs...HELP PLEASE!
sad.png

Crack it on the countertop, not the edge of the bowl.

The thickness of the shells is not only about the oyster shell they may have eaten. It is also a direct result of good nutrition and the health of your layers. It's a good thing. You just have to get accustomed to the thicker shells.

Plus if they just started, and so they have full reserves ready to go for egg making. As they get older, they may get a bit thinner. Plus, as they get larger, the force required to crack a section of shell will be less due to the angle of impact on the curvature on the shell. I also second the idea of cracking on the table (or on a chop stick) till you get used to the force required.

Back
Top Bottom