Chainsaws

Quote:
Nothing says I love like waking up to the wife in chaps and high heeled footwear
love.gif
love.gif
Make his morning, then send him out to cut some wood.
ya.gif

Quote:
I'd buy a Stihl in a second if they were available at anyplace other than mom and pop hardware store/dealerships that seem to mark the prices up. I mean, really, this day and age, you should be able to get one at a Home Depot or a Lowes, where they can squeeze Stihl's profit margin a litle bit in our favor....

You can't even seem to order one online at the Stihl website...that MS290 Farmboss looks TNT!!!!

My local dealer sells one at $359. I can get a very similar Husky model for $299...decisions, decisions....

Last edited:
Hmm, my Stihls start and run better than my freaking wood splitter. I started my saw right quick after getting home today to make small slices out of some larger logs just so I can have a fire tonight. In 5 minutes I have enough small chunks to do one heck of a hot fire tonight. It's burning NOW! Record cold temps coming in tonight (thanks Al Gore for all your global warming you ninny
he.gif
).

Since I am a female I have devised a certain technique to enable me to start my saws much faster. My arms are not as long as a male and it always seems like pull cords are too long for me even though I am not short (I'm 5'9"). Plus I have very bad knees.

I now use two sticks and put them through the handles and stand on them. This holds the saw firmly on the ground and allows me more 'umpf' per pull (is that a word?
big_smile.png
) and I am not kneeling or overly bent over.

The saw starts MUCH quicker and is ready to slice and dice and I am not pooped out trying to start it. I had to do this as I just had knee surgery and cannot kneel anymore. No more cartilage left.

BUT- I can still cut trees!
wink.png

Now to just figger that splitter out....
somad.gif

Quote:

You're 5'9 and I'm almost 5'2.....and you can't start a saw without twigs ? My mother at the age of 52 and 16 knee surguries later can start my 455 husky....maybe you don't have your fuel mixture right ....or you're not priming it enough . By the way ...the Docs almost cut her leg off . Maybe more practice is what you need ? My cousin (also a woman ) works for the forest service around here....she carries the same saw 30 miles in along with her gas and oil.....somtimes they can't use "saws"....they have to do it the old way....wilderness area and what not .

Starting a chainsaw is no different than starting your lawn mower.....you have to pull on the rope....before that , make sure the mix is right , chain is good , and it is clean enough !

Quote:

You're 5'9 and I'm almost 5'2.....and you can't start a saw without twigs ? My mother at the age of 52 and 16 knee surguries later can start my 455 husky....maybe you don't have your fuel mixture right ....or you're not priming it enough . By the way ...the Docs almost cut her leg off . Maybe more practice is what you need ? My cousin (also a woman ) works for the forest service around here....she carries the same saw 30 miles in along with her gas and oil.....somtimes they can't use "saws"....they have to do it the old way....wilderness area and what not .

Starting a chainsaw is no different than starting your lawn mower.....you have to pull on the rope....before that , make sure the mix is right , chain is good , and it is clean enough !

I did not say I could not start it with out sticks.
roll.png

I will say my knees are now so bad that starting with the sticks works better for me. I have been cutting my own wood for a very long time. I cannot kneel anymore. I am glad your mother is better than me.
smack.gif
I just am reporting what works for me to keep me going.

So instead of nagging at me about my chain saw starting ability or disability how about some splitter starting hints?

My hubby has both a Stihl and a Husky. Uses them for everything -- firewood, posts, even building my coop!! Both are very good with only a few repairs and replacements. He's had them for at 10 years - well worth the money. Good luck

Ann, for your splitter use Ether. I refuse to use a chainsaw now that weighs over 7.5 pounds. They can be started in the air with no kneeling.

Back
Top Bottom