Chalky egg shell?

duckinnut

Songster
9 Years
Jul 18, 2010
Marshfield, Ma.
One of my RIRs laid a standard large/xlarge egg today but the shell felt like it had a sandy chalky feel to it.The shell was hard as the others and uniquely colored, kind of lightish brown/cream with 2 oval shaped dark flashy spots on it. This was like the 2nd 3rd tme i got one of these sandy feeling things. Anyone got a clue?
th.gif

It happens. When things are moving down the assembly line that fast, there are bound to be problems with quality control once in a while.

Nothing to worry about, mostly a cosmetic problem. One thing I have found with birds that lay those eggs frequently is that the shells tend to be fragile, so be sure to keep oyster shell available at all times, it helps a lot to avoid weak shells.

Quote:
It almost feels like it didnt get wet sanded,buffed and waxed before she put it out in the showroom. The shell itself was good and hard, the color was cool and size was nice but the shell had a gritty feel to it. Weird and thanks for the info. Will have to talk to the offender and explain to her we need quality. If not the Perdue Express will be going by shortly.
rant.gif

I just got 8 red stars to add to my flock and I get the eggs-act same thing. a white chalky feel to the egg. im glad to hear that is normal and just a cosmetic thing. does your girl still lay them like that or has it changed to normal smooth brown eggs?

I am curious about this as well. I have a young flock of 13 birds and recently most of their eggs have had this chalky look/feel to them...I thought perhaps a nutritional deficiency?

Thanks for more input!

Back
Top Bottom