Champagne Blonde Query

My understanding of Autosomal Red is limited but I didn't think it was a diluter of red. In fact isn't it the opposite?

My understanding is that Autosomal Red is a form of gold (or modifier of gold?) that resists the dilution effect of silver - hence why we see it so often on silver birds that have been derived from crosses with gold birds.

With this in mind -
It's certainly possible for my silver cockerel chicks to show some effects of Autosomal Red.
But I would not expect the gold chicks to be diluted as a result of Autosomal Red.
I'm still learning about this gene, myself actually. I'm particularly new to it.
Lighting doesn't do much justice here, but did my best to get pictures.
20210905_155525.jpg
20210905_155533.jpg
20210905_155540.jpg
20210905_155621.jpg
20210905_155627.jpg

** Updated Pictures **

Here's one of the other babies - showing the most ground color of them all - but definitely that same diluted gold.

It's a bit early to tell but looks like it might be developing *incomplete* double lacing on the wings but perhaps spangling on the breast and hackles.

I'm excited to see these guys grow out and mature.

It's looking like all the gold babies are developing up with that same ground colour - so I'm thinking, with these results, I am almost certain to have a dominant version dilution gene going on here - which pleases me greatly!! It will make my project go so much quicker :)

20210911_111436.jpg 20210911_111449.jpg

** Updated Pictures **

Here's one of the other babies - showing the most ground color of them all - but definitely that same diluted gold.

It's a bit early to tell but looks like it might be developing *incomplete* double lacing on the wings but perhaps spangling on the breast and hackles.

I'm excited to see these guys grow out and mature.

It's looking like all the gold babies are developing up with that same ground colour - so I'm thinking, with these results, I am almost certain to have a dominant version dilution gene going on here - which pleases me greatly!! It will make my project go so much quicker :)

View attachment 2829371View attachment 2829372
Any more updates?

Any more updates?
Here's a pretty rough photo of the elder babies out in the grow-out run. You can see one there with very birchen like hackles and defined double lacing breast. And several with varying degrees of incomplete lacing and spangling. But all are the dilute gold - Citroen. I have another couple of younger groups which I will post pics of soon.

I am fairly confident that all of these babies belonged either to the two highly melanised silver hens, and the two partial double laced silver hens. All the silver chicks were culled shortly after hatching as they were identifiable as sex-linked roosters. Of the remaining golds, some will be roosters.

20211007_154632.jpg 20211007_154651.jpg

Mums look like this!

2020 Project Hen 1 Cropped.jpg
DL - 1Yr - B.jpg

Last edited:
Any more updates?
Still inside - I have another 8 youngsters. Of those 2 are similar patterned and colour to those shown in the larger growout group photo. The other six babies are as follows:

Also of note and interest, the first two of these babies had very citroen looking chick down, which can still be seen in the second picture, whereas all the other chicks had sebright down (black with coloured bibs and faces - or just black for the highly melanised ones).

Assumed young cockerel from a silver mom.
This one showing diluted gold - very close to the citroen shade.

1A.jpg

Assumed young cockerel from a silver mom.
Again showing diluted gold - but quite light and lemony looking.

2A.jpg

FOUR youngsters with less defined patterning than the dilute gold babies.
Am assuming that these babies come from the one gold hen that started laying late in the egg collection period, and therefore could be either cockerels or hens.
It is notable that these are the only four, of all the gold babies (about 18 golds in total - not counting the two splits above), that did not receive the dilution gene.

3A.jpg

Possible Mom of the regular gold babies?

Hen B - 1Yr.jpg

Last edited:
Caught all the babies today to do a wellness check and ivermectin treatment.

Took the opportunity to take a couple of closer up pics while I had them in hand.

Am happy with the dark facial features and overall size, form and coloring. They're looking very sebrighty in type which was the aim. Dark legs and no feathered shanks = 100%

Lacing is developing, in varying quality, and will continue to develop.

Altogether I'm very pleased with this group - there is potential!!

20211013_094036.jpg 20211013_094055.jpg 20211013_094100.jpg 20211013_094308.jpg
20211013_093911.jpg

Caught all the babies today to do a wellness check and ivermectin treatment.

Took the opportunity to take a couple of closer up pics while I had them in hand.

Am happy with the dark facial features and overall size, form and coloring. They're looking very sebrighty in type which was the aim. Dark legs and no feathered shanks = 100%

Lacing is developing, in varying quality, and will continue to develop.

Altogether I'm very pleased with this group - there is potential!!

View attachment 2863849View attachment 2863851View attachment 2863852View attachment 2863855
View attachment 2863847
Looking good!

Back
Top Bottom