"champagne " colored tuxedo patterned Coturnix ?

But it may not show up in each batch of the offspring of the other ladies. My 2 whites showed up in my first hatch, not in the next. He had the same breeders in the same colony pens with no white breeders. I set 110 and 115 eggs at those hatches. I check each egg at end of hatch, there were no whites this last time.

I'm sure the other lady has a colony set up. So. It's just going to depend on which bird bred which hen. Not all may have the recessive genes for this color, if it is a new color. The other lady has White and light colored where ever she keeps them whether on shavings or not? If these 2 colors keep popping up for the other lady, well. But ya, all possibilities need to be tossed around and crossed off the list that don't have anything to do with breeding. Before you put a lot of work into it, preferrably.

That's why mhwc needs to set up breeder pens (plural) and get started. I think she may have what she needs to start already. What colors are the 5-7 yr olds again? You have an incubator, right? If not need to get one so you can get started.

So, here's a little experiment for you to try... Put the bird in a wire bottom cage (No pine shavings) with a food dish that they can't bathe in, start reducing the photoperiod (light) by 15 minutes every three- five days until you get to about 10 hours of daylight and the bird will start moulting those stained feathers and grow new "clean" white ones.

Let me ask, did you just get this bird? What was this bird kept on?

For the person who said that there are white feathers in the midsts of the stained ones and therefore "proving" your theory to be a "mutation"... I must discard that theory because who is to say that the white feather in between the stained feathers is not a new feather that just grew out and hasn't stained?

On top of all of that, like quailladyofftmyers said, a mutation will show up in the offsprings if it is a dominant mutation or if recessive, both parents must carry the gene... whatever the case, the babies came out white. If you would like to insist, breed a male baby to it's stained mother and you will end up with ... well... in my opinion... white birds lol

I hope I made some sense
smile.png

www.buttonquail.webs.com

Quote:
DING! AND WE HAVE A WINNER!

BETTER YET, RATHER THAN FORCING A MOLTING JUST TAKE THE QUESTIONABLE BIRD INSIDE AND GIVE HER THE FULL SPA TREATMENT.... BUT INSTEAD OF SOME FANCY 100 DOLLAR A BAR FACIAL SOAP.... JUST USE SOME GOOD OLD FASHIONED DAWN DISHWASHING DETERGENT.... BY THE TIME YOU FINISH PAINTING HER NAILS SHE WILL BE DRYING OUT AND NOTICEABLY WHITE.

Quote:
i want peoples' honest thoughts here. i don't think you are "being mean or anything" ... the thing is , they have white on their undersides and feathers that would be in more contact with the bedding are white...bright white in most cases. There are also just too many featers that seem like they would be stained not stained... well i guess i'll do some experimenting and see what comes of it ...
smile.png

experimenting is all you can do
smile.png
hope it works out
smile.png
...in the meantime I can help as best as I can:)

thanks Alexandra...and everyone who has responded
smile.png

Quote:
The lady they came from DOES have them on wire.
She told me today that she has some that are the bright white and others that are the cream color.
I've had my 2 girls for about 2 months.
it never occurred to me to use Dawn but it makes sense .
The babies i posted pictures of are NOT from my cream/champagne colored They are from other Coturnix that she still has.

Last edited:
Quote:
DING! AND WE HAVE A WINNER!

BETTER YET, RATHER THAN FORCING A MOLTING JUST TAKE THE QUESTIONABLE BIRD INSIDE AND GIVE HER THE FULL SPA TREATMENT.... BUT INSTEAD OF SOME FANCY 100 DOLLAR A BAR FACIAL SOAP.... JUST USE SOME GOOD OLD FASHIONED DAWN DISHWASHING DETERGENT.... BY THE TIME YOU FINISH PAINTING HER NAILS SHE WILL BE DRYING OUT AND NOTICEABLY WHITE.

That would be my best advice as well!

They clean up real nice
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom