chances bunny will come back? :(

my rabbits had a hutch outside, the kids were playing and a friend did not close the cage properly, they both got out and it took me 3 days to catch Lilah, with a fishing net, Willow on the other hand was quite happy outside. she came back several times, and we tried catching her, but nothing worked. We had grey owls hunting her and foxes too but she evaded them too.

then we did not see her for nearly a month, and we were certain she was dead, then my dh was outside working away when she came back but was a bit spooked so she was hard to catch, but we trapped her in a cat cage we filled with treats and hay and pellets. She was gone for three months by the time we finally caught her.

turns out something grabbed a hold of her but she must have fought hard and gotten away, we think it was an owl, she has an injury site on her neck where when we got her back we cold see it was claw marks, it was almost healed by then but her skin is stretched by her neck.

We put her back in with her sister lilah and she was never happier to be back in her hutch. I think she merely came back because she was almost eaten, and wanted to come back home.

I really thought when they got out we would never see them again, but to be honest I found that they really don't go far, they will stick around and I did find several places where they dug holes and camped out for a while. Apparently they really liked visiting the chickens on a daily basis, lol. but they were so good at hiding when they heard us that we had no idea they were right next to the coop, lol, in a hole in the tall grass!!!

go around your property near where you had their cage and I am sure you will find your funny or signs it has been around in the area. Because its still young it will want his momma and it will keep coming back, its all they know at this point. :)

Ema

Quote:
I might have to do that, I have another pen that I used to use with a dog house in it. I'll throw some hay in there, since the bunny can squeeze in and out of the holes I'm sure it will love to be back with mama.

I can guarantee you that little kit is scared to death and is hiding someplace dark, like the way they stuff their faces into mama's belly when they are frightened. I hope you find it soon.

If you have a live trap you can put a halved apple inside. You might catch something else but my Uncle used that anytime one of his "running" rabbits took off. We also just sat outside with Timothy hay and our one and only escapee came hopping right up into my friend's lap. He was about six or seven weeks I believe, but was hiding directly under the hutches, close to his "twin".

CYG

Well trap was set and baited last night today food is gone but no animal
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom