Chances the eggs are fertile?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stone_family3, Oct 7, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    32 hens and 1 rooster. Chances the eggs will be fertile?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thank you very much, so when I check tomorrow (finger's crossed I get eggs, these are new girls [​IMG] ) if they are fertile how long will they continue to lay fertile eggs?

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Woah, he's a busy dude if all those girls are fertile. [​IMG] Have fun checking!

5. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:I don't know- sorry. But many on BYC say that if you want to breed them, to separate the pair from the flock for a couple of weeks to make sure that the roo in the pen with the hen will be the father. (So I'd guess up to 2 weeks.)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  6. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks, I don't have the roo. All exposure was done at their previous home (no roos allowed in the city). So just didn't know, though their roo was pretty and I wouldn't mind a few chicks LOL.

7. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Hey I wouldn't waste those eggs then- just put a few under a broody if you have one and wait/see! Or in an incubator. Have fun!!!

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Hey I wouldn't waste those eggs then- just put a few under a broody if you have one and wait/see! Or in an incubator. Have fun!!!

Ditto. Hens can store rooster sperm for up to 3 weeks. So it doesn't hurt to try if you want more chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by