Is this a fertilized egg?

Jld13

Songster
Apr 12, 2021
Still kind of a newbie to chickens. I have one that’s 10 months old and hasn’t laid. I think she’s a she. I did hear a random cockle doodle doo one day but never again.
Is this egg fertilized? It’s not the first time I’ve seen this but now…. Im curious?? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7404.jpeg
    IMG_7404.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7407.jpeg
    IMG_7407.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 7
Looks like a so called bulls eye. I’ve been reading a bulls eye is an indicator the egg is fertilised. However. Its not a reliable thing. Some hens lay eggs with bulls eyes without a rooster present.

No rooster ➡️ no fertile eggs.
A rooster ➡️ possible fertile eggs.
You can know for sure if you start incubating.

I you have a hen with some rooster hormones she might try to crow. The crow is not as loud as the crow of a real rooster. If it’s a real rooster you should be able to see this.
Post a photo if you’re not sure.

Looks like a so called bulls eye. I’ve been reading a bulls eye is an indicator the egg is fertilised. However. Its not a reliable thing. Some hens lay eggs with bulls eyes without a rooster present.

No rooster ➡️ no fertile eggs.
A rooster ➡️ possible fertile eggs.
You can know for sure if you start incubating.

I you have a hen with some rooster hormones she might try to crow. The crow is not as loud as the crow of a real rooster. If it’s a real rooster you should be able to see this.
Post a photo if you’re not sure.
I didn’t think I had a rooster, but the random call the other day made me start thinking. Then seeing what might be a bulls eye I thought I should ask experts haha.

While the 'bullseye' is usually showing that an egg is fertile, sometimes a hen can lay an infertile egg with a bullseye. If you're wondering if one of your 'hens' is actually a roo, you can always post a picture of them in the "What breed or gender is this" section. Usually, the people over there can figure it out.

While the 'bullseye' is usually showing that an egg is fertile, sometimes a hen can lay an infertile egg with a bullseye. If you're wondering if one of your 'hens' is actually a roo, you can always post a picture of them in the "What breed or gender is this" section. Usually, the people over there can figure it out.
Thank you for the info! 😃

Back
Top Bottom