change feed after two weeks?

Quote:
Yes, it would be cheaper to buy it in the 25# to 50# bags. I keep my chicks on a medicated started grower without any problems til they are at point of lay.

It varies some by the brand of feed you are using, but the normal progression is to feed Starter the first 6 weeks or so. Starter is normally in the range of 20 to 22% protein. That 18% sounds more like a combined Starter/Grower. I'll get to that later.

Around 6 weeks (and this can be 4 weeks or 8 weeeks, it is not that critical), switch to 16% Grower. Notice this is a drop in protein, not an increase. After they have had that boost they need in their first few weeks, their body needs to slow down growing a bit so their organs can mature as they grow. Don't get too hung up on this, though. A little extra protein is not all that bad.

After their first egg or at 20 weeks, switch to 16% Layer. The main difference between Grower and Layer is that Layer has a lot more calcium for the egg shells. That extra calcium is not good for growing chicks but is OK for grown chickens.

Instead of selling separate Starter and Grower, some brands combine the Starter/Grower into one product, usually around 18% to 20% protein. You can feed this from Day 1 until you switch to Layer. That works fine too.

You do not need to hit the regular progression exactly or suffer dire consequences. It is a general target to aim at, not an absolute law of nature. When they are out foraging on their own and find a bug or worm fairly late in the day, they do not determine that they have had enough protein for the day and let if go. Not if it looks tasty.

I never feed medicated feed, but there is nothing wrong with doing so. And if you have had bad experiences with cocci, there is a good reason to feed it.

Good luck!

A 25bag should last you til u need to start layer feed. Good luck.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom