Change in Humidity in an Automatic Incubator (R-Com 20) (Day 18)

DrRob

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
Middle Chinnock, Crewkerne,UK
Good Day All,

I have a quick question that somebody maybe able to answer, I have a R-Com 20 and have had the humidity go up 6 degrees all on its own and it is staying there - would this be caused after a chick has pierced the air sac and added additional humidity inside ?
There has been no increase in humidity in the room that the incubator is in.
The egg is on day 18 today and it is a Bantam Egg.
Any thoughts would be great.

Kind Regards
Dr Rob.

When you say there has been no increase in humidity in the room itself, do you mean you actually have a hygrometer in the room to check this? Or do you just mean you haven't done anything that could affect the humidity? I'm guessing the second one. To me this sounds like a general fluctuation in atmospheric humidity affecting the humidity in the bator. My bator is currently running with NO water trays in it at all and the humidity varies from 30% to 45% on a daily basis depending on the weather outside. I wouldn't worry about it. Minor fluctuations in humidity are not really a problem the way fluctuations in temperature are.

Are you sure no one at home has reset it?

The RCOM is computer controlled, and even if there was a humidity spike in the external surroundings the incubator would keep the internal humidity at what it was set to.

My RCOM 20 stays at 40% rH, no matter what the outside ambient humidity is (measured with digital hygrometers; one inside the incy, one outsdie in the room)

No one has done anything to it Casey, it is still set at its settings but the reading is now 10 degrees higher, would it be worth switching it off and then turning it back on again.

Regards
Dr Rob.

I have contacted the UK Supplier and asked their advice, the breeder who I bought it from did have a similar problem but it was running for 4 days and holding its humidity so I hope the supplier can assist me.

Thanks for your comments Gypsy and Casey.

Regards
Dr Rob.

Just to let you know, I received my new Brinsea Egg Lume this morning and candled the 2 eggs due this weekend and it looks like I have lost them because the veining had disappeared and I am sure I read when this happens it means the chick died in the shell !
Well I will leave them a couple more days and then remove them as I have another 5 on day 14 which I want to keep under observation.

So sad when things like this happen.

Dr Rob.

Sure, you can always turn it off and turn it on again... the eggs won't come to much harm with no electricity for 30 seconds
wink.png

Does your incubator still have warranty cover? Even if it doesn't you could write to P and T Poultry (info "at" pandtpoultry "dot" co "dot" uk) for advice - they are the official warrantly holders in the UK, and very helpful!

The breeder who sold me the incubator has been on the phone and said this is normal practice for the R-Com 20, as they inside mass of the egg increases there are shifts in humidity and the readout will say anything between 45 degrees and 60 degrees. So I have nothing to worry about.

Thanks again everyone.

Dr Rob.

Back
Top Bottom