1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Change in yolk color?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MandiRock, Mar 25, 2012.

1. MandiRock

MandiRock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    Central Mississippi
    I have 5 Plymouth rock hens that lay practically every day. Usually the eggs have a beautiful golden orange yolk. My son wanted breakfast for dinner tonight, so I cracked open the 5 eggs I got today. The yolks were a pale yellow color. Should I be concerned?

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Mine are the orange color from ranging all day. If yours are staying in now that would be about the only thing I could think would change it.

3. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

The colour of the yolk depends on what the chicken ate, so it can vary if they are able to get to grass or greens of some sort, for example.

4. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I've noticed that when I give my RIRs a lot of broccoli/cabbage/greens, the yolks are a beautiful orange-y color for a few days.

5. MandiRock

MandiRock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    Central Mississippi
    They have never free ranged because there isn't a leash law here in the country, and there are strays all over the place [​IMG]

I do give them greens when I have them and toss them some grass clippings. I've let them out a few days this week while I was outside to fend off the dogs, although one of them did get chased into the woods. Luckily I was able to catch her first.

Freaking dogs. We need a fence.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Most layer feed has ingredients such as marigold petals to help keep the yolks bright yellow. Supplementing with a little bright colored vegetables would help provide color for your yolks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by