1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

change of color roosters comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kens147, Oct 31, 2010.

1. kens147

kens147 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    ohio
    one of my roosters comb is turning black why thanks for the help

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Have you just had some below freezing temperatures? I would bet it's frost bite. If it is, those black parts will fall off. It won't permanently affect your rooster.

If you see the weather calls for more freezes, you might try smoothing Vaseline on his comb. Also make sure his sleeping quarters are well-ventilated since it's the humidity build-up combined with the low temp that causes frostbite, rather than simply the cold.

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Respiratory infectations can cause this too, but you should hear coughing or sneezing. The infection would be preventing him from breathing very well and creating a lack of oxygen in his blood.

Another possible problem can be the heart. If his heart is giving out that will lead to a darken comb from the lack of blood flow.

These are just 2 problems that can cause a blackened comb. More details are needed to narrow down the problem.

Matt

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Pics might help determine what is ailing your bird. Is the comb generally blackish, or are there black spots distributed on the comb?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by