Change of feed—ducks not laying well for 2 months

KMHducks

Hatching
Mar 8, 2021
Hello! I need some advice: 2 months ago my 8 ducks were laying on average 6 eggs a day. Well 2 months ago they went to 0-3 a day.
Two things changed at that point:
1. their feed. We went from a basic layer feed to a whole grain non-GMO, soy free feed. I also started fermenting their feed. They also get brewers yeast and oyster shells daily. They have lots of snacks of veggie scraps, broth making left overs, meal works, etc.
2. 4 of our older ducks were molting. The 4 that are younger did not molt but were laying well before all this.
I expected them to have a period of lower laying as they transitioned to their new feed and of course with molting. But it’s been 2 months, the days are getting longer, they look SO healthy and are eating their feed well. They have more than enough food—they have leftover every day!
I’m worried that the feed is the culprit but it doesn’t make sense as it’s so much healthier!
would love any ideas/help you can give. We sure miss our yummy eggs!

Hello! I need some advice: 2 months ago my 8 ducks were laying on average 6 eggs a day. Well 2 months ago they went to 0-3 a day.
Two things changed at that point:
1. their feed. We went from a basic layer feed to a whole grain non-GMO, soy free feed. I also started fermenting their feed. They also get brewers yeast and oyster shells daily. They have lots of snacks of veggie scraps, broth making left overs, meal works, etc.
2. 4 of our older ducks were molting. The 4 that are younger did not molt but were laying well before all this.
I expected them to have a period of lower laying as they transitioned to their new feed and of course with molting. But it’s been 2 months, the days are getting longer, they look SO healthy and are eating their feed well. They have more than enough food—they have leftover every day!
I’m worried that the feed is the culprit but it doesn’t make sense as it’s so much healthier!
would love any ideas/help you can give. We sure miss our yummy eggs!
What feed specifically is it that you switched to?

Where in the world do you live?
What breed of ducks do you have?
Would you mind sharing the specific brand of feed you're using?

Various factors can slow down egg production (exp, diet, age, molting, environmental conditions, diseases, etc) determining the underlying cause of the slowdown can often be difficult, but in your case, considering the slow down occurred shorty after a diet switch, that may suggest the problem is related to diet.

A lack of nutrients, and proteins, can result in a lowered egg production. If you look at your feed bag, you should see the ingredient label on the bottom tag. Consider checking through the nutrients contents, and compare it to the site here: (according to your bird's age)

https://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm

Treats offered often are ok, but one should monitor how much treats there truly giving to ensure it's not affecting how much nutrients there getting from their feed.

Where in the world do you live?
What breed of ducks do you have?
Would you mind sharing the specific brand of feed you're using?

Various factors can slow down egg production (exp, diet, age, molting, environmental conditions, diseases, etc) determining the underlying cause of the slowdown can often be difficult, but in your case, considering the slow down occurred shorty after a diet switch, that may suggest the problem is related to diet.

A lack of nutrients, and proteins, can result in a lowered egg production. If you look at your feed bag, you should see the ingredient label on the bottom tag. Consider checking through the nutrients contents, and compare it to the site here: (according to your bird's age)

https://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm

Treats offered often are ok, but one should monitor how much treats there truly giving to ensure it's not affecting how much nutrients there getting from their feed.
We live near Seattle, WA.
we have 4 khaki campbells (2 years old), 3 runner/khaki Campbell mixed (5 months), 1 welsh harlequin (5 months).
We switched to Scratch and Peck.
thanks for the site to check our feed up against. I will look at that!

Also for reference, it wouldn't be unusual for the 5 month olders to not be laying yet. I wouldn't worry on those. But the others should be able to lay.

Back
Top Bottom