Change of plans

Pics
So I've had a couple wanna be broodys and my OE is serious about it! My neighbor had an order in for hatching eggs from papa's poultry so I piggybacked in her order and got 6, but ended up with 10. 4 gold laced chocolate orps, 4 isabel gold laced split to isabel and the others were gold laced, all English orps, will set them tomorrow. Gonna let her hatch in the nest, hands off, hopefully we'll see some babies the 2nd of July ❤

The eggs are resting until tomorrow, a few are a bit dirty, I brushed them off but didn't want to get them wet, we'll see what happens

Attachments

• 20220609_161738.jpg
    20220609_161738.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 2
I would love to order eggs from Papas but I’m afraid the travel from CA to NY would be too much. Eggs from Ohio was stressful enough!
Ya that is pretty far! He has some beautiful birds, and the eggs were only $4 each! Shouldn't be too hard to sell any that hatch, already have a few spoken for so now we'll just see🤞

Update: this week has been crazy, so Maribel and Betty #1 and #2 had managed to bully Prue out of her nest so they could lay Wed and Thursday, when they got done she went back in, I took out their eggs and back to business as usual. Today I took the day off cuz my little dog had surgery yesterday and I wanted to make sure she was adjusting to the cone of shame ok (she's not🤣) anyway I decided to do my chicken chores for the week and when I went to scoop the poop boards Betty was once again trying to bully Prue out of her nest Prue freaked and grabbed Betty by the head😳 That was the end of that wanna be hostile takeover, lol. She didn't come off the nest until 1:15 today, it's usually around 10:30, but when she did holy crap she was on one, idk if her hormones are in full swing now or what but she was nuts! I checked all the eggs (sniff test and candled) all 10 have veins, I couldn't believe it!❤ tomorrow is day 7, I'll check them again on day 18 and that'll be all I plan on doing. (Things may change but that's the plan for now) I did set up the brooder area with fresh shavings, and a nest just in case she needs to be moved. This is a cool ass experience!

P.S.
It's crazy how the eggs feel different than just a regular egg

Phoebe (blue orp) went to her new home last night. A really sweet lady I know inherited her mom's chickens when she died and they have long since stopped laying. Phoebe will be the beginning of her new flock and she would also like a couple of my broody chicks if they hatch. I sold her because she isn't in the least bit friendly or sociable.

Back
Top Bottom