Change of plans

Pics
so the littles will be 9 weeks tomorrow do they still need chick grit or can they have the same as the ladies?
Eh...not sure.
http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf.

I bought about a 2 gallon bag of granite grit from the local mill, they put it in their chicken scratch. Ran it thru a colander with 1/16" holes. Bagged the smaller stuff for the chicks and sprinkle some over a chunk of sod in the brooder during the second week.

Got a couple questions... so the littles will be 9 weeks tomorrow do they still need chick grit or can they have the same as the ladies?
By 8 weeks or so, I stop offering chick grit. The flock's grit cup has a mix of pullet/grower and adult grit. There should be enough variety of sizes in there for everyone to be able to pick out a few pieces in a size suitable for them.

What about the free ranging

I don't free range, though I let my chickens out for a little bit of supervised outside time each afternoon, weather permitting. With chicks, I let them decide if they want to come along or not - usually takes mine several weeks before they'll accompany the adults. In the interim period there's a lot of indecisive running in and out.

I don't free range, though I let my chickens out for a little bit of supervised outside time each afternoon, weather permitting. With chicks, I let them decide if they want to come along or not - usually takes mine several weeks before they'll accompany the adults. In the interim period there's a lot of indecisive running in and out.
I don't really "free range" but when I get home from work I let the ladies out for a couple hours while I enjoy the weather with my husband, and on the weekends it can be an all day thing if we're relaxing or doing things around the yard or in the garden. I think we'll give it a whirl tomorrow and see how it goes 😉

What about the free ranging
I don't free range either....but here's what I've surmised from reading here over the years.
Are they going back to the coop in their own at dusk?
Good to start them free ranging for the first time late in the day,
30-60 minutes before they normally go to roost.
They won't go too far at first and you'll see that they get back to the coop to roost.
Subsequent days let them out a bit earlier, and so on and so on.

I don't free range either....but here's what I've surmised from reading here over the years.
Are they going back to the coop in their own at dusk?
Good to start them free ranging for the first time late in the day,
30-60 minutes before they normally go to roost.
They won't go too far at first and you'll see that they get back to the coop to roost.
Subsequent days let them out a bit earlier, and so on and so on.
Ya they are spot on as far as the routine goes, no issues at all. I'll let y'all know how it goes this evening

Chilling chicks

Attachments

• 20210419_170618.jpg
    20210419_170618.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom