Changed pellet brand, chickens won't eat

Put them back on the feed they like...
I can't return the new sack now that it's open. And I don't want to waste the money I spent if it's just that they're picky.

I'll try the mash idea today. If they still refuse it, I'll assume something's wrong with the feed entirely.

They did start eating the mash! The chief complainer is still complaining, but at least they ate. I'll keep my eye on them during the day to see if they actually finish it or it was just curiousity pecking.

BTW, you should be able to return opened bags of feed if there's a problem with it. Call the manufacturer too.
Birds do hate change, so if that's the problem, work through it. If the feed isn't fine for any reason, return it!
Mary

I was at TSC one evening because my local feed store had closed before I could get there to pick up my usual feed after work. I was trying to decide which feed to buy when a guy came up and loaded a flat cart full of the cheapest stuff that TSC sold. I told him of my concern that my birds might not eat if they didn't like my pick compared to their usual feed that TSC didn't sell. He said they would eat anything I picked before they would starve. He was right. That said, I don't like to upset my flock so it is a very rare circumstance that I run out of their usual feed and fill in with a substitute.

Back
Top Bottom