changed to poultry food from Layer feed - no eggs

nyumbakuku

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 25, 2015
I was gone and the person watching my flock of 8 hens (2 years old) didn't buy the right feed. He bought regular poultry feed and not layer feed. that was two weeks before i returned. then i did realize what had happened for another 2 weeks. I have not have an egg in over 3 week. they have been back on layer feed for 2 weeks. will they start laying again?

I was gone and the person watching my flock of 8 hens (2 years old) didn't buy the right feed. He bought regular poultry feed and not layer feed. that was two weeks before i returned. then i did realize what had happened for another 2 weeks. I have not have an egg in over 3 week. they have been back on layer feed for 2 weeks. will they start laying again?
3 weeks ago, the days were still pretty short so not laying is pretty normal. I get 1 egg a day and if I am lucky 2. Only my comets are laying and I have 12 chickens, 11 layers. I am almost certain they will start laying near spring.

Possibly it was just enough of a change to trigger them to stop laying, or maybe your chicken sitter's routine was different enough that it was enough of a change to get them to stop laying. Since chickens don't like change in general, any stressor can slow or stop laying.

They may not start up again until daylight hours start lengthening more, if you're in the northern hemisphere.

Incidentally layer feed doesn't make them lay, it just has more calcium.

Fall & winter i give my layers 22% protein feed or a meatbird feed. Let them build a little more fat to keep warm & have plenty of protein for molt since feathers are almost completely protein. Also the fact of greens that contain protein & bugs aren't available in the winter. Mine have slowed but are still laying.
Spring ill start back with layer 16-17%.

Thanks for all the good thoughts. It probably is just the winter and a coincidence. Makes me feel better. Last winter they slowed but never stopped laying. They are older now.

Back
Top Bottom