Changes for winter

Shamiira

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2023
Spokane, WA
I’m starting to get concerned about our coop now that the hens are getting older and winter will be on the way. I didn’t know what I was doing or where to look before we built. We took part of the shed for the ladies.

We are zone 6. So it gets cold but not ridiculously cold. We rarely get single digits for longer than a week for highs and more often than not we have 20s for highs and teens for lows.

Once insulation is added for winter, the coop is 2.5 for x 8.5 feet. My husband measured the BARE MINIMUM as we have 7 chickens 😔 They have 7.5 feet of roosting bars at 3 levels (2.5 ft per level).

I’ve included a picture of the coop space. Don’t mind the board on the left or the box with weeds in it 😂 we have a new layer and I’m trying to recreate where she likes to lay in the yard/garden.

What changes would need to be made before winter? Keeping in mind that they have a 10 ft x 8 ft covered, ground level patio where they spend a lot of time.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate everyone here and how much you’re willing to help others 💕

Attachments

• IMG_1364.jpeg
    IMG_1364.jpeg
    649.7 KB · Views: 86
You don't need insulation. There's really no need to make any changes, except blocking/diverting any cold drafts that might come in, if there's a window or vent that might be prone to that. And making sure they still have some outdoor access, whether that means shoveling paths in the snow or doing some climate proofing in the run.

I have birds that fight to sleep right next to open windows at 12F without issue. I only close them up if snow or rain is blowing in sideways, which is thankfully fairly rare.

You don't need insulation. There's really no need to make any changes, except blocking/diverting any cold drafts that might come in, if there's a window or vent that might be prone to that. And making sure they still have some outdoor access, whether that means shoveling paths in the snow or doing some climate proofing in the run.

I have birds that fight to sleep right next to open windows at 12F without issue. I only close them up if snow or rain is blowing in sideways, which is thankfully fairly rare.
Oh! Here I was worried about nothing then? Sounds just like me. They free range all day but I was looking at a small kiddie pool for a dust bathing area under the covered patio space and maybe even a second one with straw since they really like to sleep there during the day. They seem to dislike their coop other than the safety at night. Thank you!!

Oh! Here I was worried about nothing then? Sounds just like me. They free range all day but I was looking at a small kiddie pool for a dust bathing area under the covered patio space and maybe even a second one with straw since they really like to sleep there during the day. They seem to dislike their coop other than the safety at night. Thank you!!
Adding a dust bath for winter won't hurt, so that's not a bad idea (they may not use it though, that's just how they are).

Since they free range, if you don't have areas that are sheltered from snow you might want to see about adding some. They may not want to go out or stay out if it's snowing, as many chickens seem to dislike snow. So you may find yourself needing to shovel just to get them out of the coop, since it'd be too tight for them to stay in there for any length of time.

Adding a dust bath for winter won't hurt, so that's not a bad idea (they may not use it though, that's just how they are).

Since they free range, if you don't have areas that are sheltered from snow you might want to see about adding some. They may not want to go out or stay out if it's snowing, as many chickens seem to dislike snow. So you may find yourself needing to shovel just to get them out of the coop, since it'd be too tight for them to stay in there for any length of time.
The patio is covered and is about 8 ft x 10 ft. They LOVE to hang out there during the day! That same area is the cats door so we already shovel out from that area for him to go out and go to the bathroom in the yard (he also dislikes snow but also hates a litter box 😂) They also like to come hang out on the dog beds on the back deck too (also covered and about 8 ft x 8 ft). Sounds like we might be set!

Good to know about the dust bath!

Back
Top Bottom