1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Changes in Egg Size?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by helmstead, Mar 12, 2007.

1. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    My Delaware hen normally lays a large to jumbo egg every day like clockwork.

Last week she laid two WHOPPERS. See?

[​IMG]

We candled them - no double yolks. So I thought YAY I have a hen that lays ginormous eggs. Last two days though she's back to her normal large/jumbo eggs.

What the?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Last fall....a few of my hens did the same thing.....not sure why...but I was glad to get them...Maybe they didnt lay for a day or so, and then POW!! lol, not sure....I used mine in omlets...LOL

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG]
    That poor girl! Could you image giving birth like that every day? The horror!

4. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, do you think those GOLLY WHOPPER EGGS will hatch?

5. SunChick

SunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    I've got a cuckoo marans egg that is about that size..a whopper. I'll let you know if it hatches!

6. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Dec 26, 2006
    California - SF East Bay
    My wife feels her pain... our first daughter was 10.5 lbs and my wife is pretty small.

Big eggs are great, but I'm still waiting for my hens to start laying golden eggs!

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Quote:HAHA....I have golden comets....and darned those gals wont give me any golden eggs.....altho..as fast as I sell them one might THINK they were golden...everyone around here wants fresh eggs, and not chickens....poor lost souls..they dont know what they are missing!

8. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Well she laid another GINORMOUS egg today! Go figure!

I'm going to be setting eggs Saturday, so I'll know soon enough if they're 'real'.

9. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh Helmstead....do keep us updated on the progress....!

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Oh, she'd better because I'm setting some eggs from her Delaware hen at the end of the month as well! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by