Changing congregations

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
We are coming up on the New Year (the Jewish New Year that is), and I have finally decided to make a change. I have been struggling for a couple years now with some negative feelings about my synagogue and Rabbi due to issues my son and his son had when they attended day school together and things I witnessed while serving on the board of the synagogue that made me unhappy. My unease has caused me to stop attending services and financial constraints have kept me from putting my boys in Hebrew school. Well, no longer! I have finally decided to sever ties with my current synagogue and seek out another. It isn't easy since there are very few Jewish congregations around here. I have finally decided to try one a couple towns over (only about 15-20mins away). I really hope that it will be a good fit since there aren't any other real options. I was very happy at my old shul for so long that it has been hard to let go, but I hope this new year will be a good one for us with a new Rabbi and congregation. L'shanah Tovah!

Quote:
When your religion becomes more political than faithful, it is time to move. God has never told us to worship in one place and stay there no matter what.
hugs.gif
You are a kind, smart woman, and I will keep you in my prayers as you set out on this journey. Change is often a blessing in disguise.

Quote:
Kate, we too have been searching for a spiritual home. Nothing near us gave us the food we wanted - teaching, not preaching. Then when he was in the hospital, his roommate turned out to be our neighbor and their church is stuck in the boonies, not far from where we live. We are going this Sunday to check it out. Faith is found inside us, and only then will we be lead to share that faith in a new arena.

L'shanah Tovah!
and a piece of apple with honey
smile.png
, early
I just found a new place in June and am SO SO SO SOSOSOOSSOOOOOOO thrilled. I am excited about going. It is like I found my long lost friend. It took me years to find a place where I felt like family and I pray your new place excites you back to a place where you long for time with G-d and friends in a new way.
I even had a wedding and was sad I missed services. Let us know how it goes!!

Quote:
That kind of excitement over your place of worship is priceless!!! Congrats to you for finding a good house of worship!

Thanks it is
smile.png
I do not know many people yet but I feel like a kid in a candy store looking at all the possibilities!!

Quote:
That kind of excitement over your place of worship is priceless!!! Congrats to you for finding a good house of worship!

Thanks it is
smile.png
I do not know many people yet but I feel like a kid in a candy store looking at all the possibilities!!

That is so AWESOME! that is the same kind of thing we are hoping to find when we visit the church we were invited to. God has funny ways of telling us what to do, and sometimes it is confusing and hard to hear, so I hope I am getting this right this time!
big_smile.png

Quote:
That is exactly how I felt when I found the shul I am now leaving. It makes me sad, but since being there doesn't make me happy anymore I have no reason to stay. I know the Rabbi at the new place and have even gone to services when he first started this new congregation. I liked it well enough then, but I liked my other place better. They have had a few years to grow now and I'm very hopeful that it will work out well for us.

Back
Top Bottom