Changing from 1Xday feeding to 24/7 access to feed?

alwaystj9

Small goats & big chickens + 1 old horse
Aug 20, 2019
SE Louisiana
I have had chickens at my house for 30 years, mostly for eggs and to clean up after other animals and pest control. My chickens free range all day and at evening feed, they are called into their pen, fed lay pellets and locked up for the night. They also get food scraps - right now there are 2 gardeners dropping off overgrown vegetables 2-3 x week and I get a biweekly large bag of out of date bread. (I have never had a skinny chicken.)(The goats also eat on the veg & bread.)
My flock is healthy, and I have anywhere from 10 -25 birds year round. They are charging through the gate into the pasture every morning and you can see them all the way out to the far fence lines during the day, they stay pretty busy except for a couple of group dirt bath & siesta times.
I saw the homemade bucket feeders and like the idea a lot so I am considering putting in a couple of bucket feeders with ports.
I am concerned that my birds will not forage but rather wallow around the food source all day. Will my feed consumption go up, feeding like this? I need my chickens to do their jobs, they seriously keep my insect problems way down.
I have a working, time-proven system right now, but maybe I can reduce my daily chore load.
Looking for any info on what I may not have considered. Pros & cons.
These are not pet chickens, while they are not scared of me, they are not cuddly or pettable.
They are full size and mixed breeds, (a little heavy on golden comets right now) some are home-raised and half are store-bought as chicks. 1 rooster.

South Louisiana...always have bugs and grass! I think we had 4 freezes last winter, none longer than 12 hours.

What type of feeder set up do you use?

I just use this. I got it at tractor supply.

1596160454013.png

I feed in an uncovered area, I've never tried the hanging feeders. I'd have to rig a hanger.
It might work on a trial basis by hanging it from a sawhorse or a stepladder.

*While I try to keep the chickens and goats out of each other's eating areas, it doesn't always work especially when I have baby goats. That feeder would be much fun for young goats!

While I try to keep the chickens and goats out of each other's eating areas, it doesn't always work especially when I have baby goats. That feeder would be much fun for young goats!

I recently read a blog post where someone made a feeder that allowed their chickens to eat while excluding their goats:
https://littleavalonfarm.com/garbage-can-chicken-feeder/

It sounds like a clever idea, but I have no personal experience with goats or with that style of feeder, so I cannot tell whether it would be the right idea for your situation.

Back
Top Bottom