Changing litter for new chicks

Plum_A

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 20, 2009
Simsbury, CT
We are newbies. We rescued 5 roosters a few months ago from another newbie, but now they're in the freezer and we're starting over. We've since purchased female chicks, and they're ready to go out into the coop and yard (we fenced in the entire back yard).

My question: Should I completely clean out the coop and replace the litter? The roosters had 12" of pine shavings in the coop, and it seems clean and smells good. Fwiw the only time the roosters went into the coop was at night.

The chicks were immunized by the company we purchased them from (Murray), and I have been feeding them medicated feed. They have been raised in the brooder on pine shavings, and thus far are healthy.

Advice??

Thanks very much!

The shavings are a foot deep? I'd be worried about what is living in them since the roos left. (Mice, rats, snakes, etc.)
Not sure what area of the world you live in, maybe that's not a problem for you........

Sorry for not being clear. I'm guessing it's a foot deep, maybe it's closer to 9 or 10 inches - it's a 12x12 coop and I used 10 of those block bags. I put it down on July 5th. We live in Connecticut.
smile.png

Thanks!

I would clean it out put a light coat of pulverized lime down and put fresh litter in. I wouldn't take take the chance of contamination.

Baby chicks won't need litter that deep.

Yes, complete cleanout before putting different birds in the coop is best.

It sounds like the OP did a deep litter method with the previous birds. I would start with about 4 inches for the new chicks, keep it stirred and add more as needed. This is usually done until it reaches about 12 inches and then cleaned out.

Back
Top Bottom