Integrated new pullets -- thanks for your help!

DiannaTN

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2023
Thank you for all of your posts about integrating flocks! The info was tremendously helpful as we integrated 4 new 12-week old pullets with our existing flock of 4 (1 rooster, 3 pullets, all 14 weeks old) over the past few weeks. We separated, did look-don't-touch, then free ranged together with separate coops, etc until they all ignored each other and just got along. A couple of days ago my daughter and I played ninja and placed the new chickens in the main coop during the night. We were there when everyone woke up in the morning. The first fully-together day was perfect. The new girls came into the run, they were eating, and there was only a little bit of pecking. They sat on their perches and everything was great. We had placed a lot of clutter in the run that they could hide inside. Well, today is the 3rd day. Yesterday and today the newbies would not come out of the coop at all, the whole day, until I took the older ones into the yard. Once they were alone in the run, they came out and ate/drank just fine. I kept the big girls out for over an hour so the littles could get plenty to eat/drink. When the big ones went back in for the night, I waited outside to monitor the coop. There were no major fights There has been no blood or big attacks on any of them. Just a bit of chasing and once in a while a peck. or anything to be concerned about, just the normal bustle of settling on the roost.

So I'm not sure if this is just a normal part of the process, or should I force the youngers out of the coop and into the run? My husband is worried that the younger ones will die if they're not coming out to get food or water. I've been trying to give tough love -- hoping they'll come out when they're hungry enough -- but it's not working so far. We have not been putting food/water in the coop -- only in the enclosed run, and there are multiple stations for each to minimize the fighting over resources. What should we do next?

Thank you for all of your posts about integrating flocks! The info was tremendously helpful as we integrated 4 new 12-week old pullets with our existing flock of 4 (1 rooster, 3 pullets, all 14 weeks old) over the past few weeks. We separated, did look-don't-touch, then free ranged together with separate coops, etc until they all ignored each other and just got along. A couple of days ago my daughter and I played ninja and placed the new chickens in the main coop during the night. We were there when everyone woke up in the morning. The first fully-together day was perfect. The new girls came into the run, they were eating, and there was only a little bit of pecking. They sat on their perches and everything was great. We had placed a lot of clutter in the run that they could hide inside. Well, today is the 3rd day. Yesterday and today the newbies would not come out of the coop at all, the whole day, until I took the older ones into the yard. Once they were alone in the run, they came out and ate/drank just fine. I kept the big girls out for over an hour so the littles could get plenty to eat/drink. When the big ones went back in for the night, I waited outside to monitor the coop. There were no major fights There has been no blood or big attacks on any of them. Just a bit of chasing and once in a while a peck. or anything to be concerned about, just the normal bustle of settling on the roost.

So I'm not sure if this is just a normal part of the process, or should I force the youngers out of the coop and into the run? My husband is worried that the younger ones will die if they're not coming out to get food or water. I've been trying to give tough love -- hoping they'll come out when they're hungry enough -- but it's not working so far. We have not been putting food/water in the coop -- only in the enclosed run, and there are multiple stations for each to minimize the fighting over resources. What should we do next?
Others will probably ask for pics of the coop/run setup to identify any potential problems.

I would be surprised if you had any serious issues intigrating two batches of four chicks that are within 2 weeks of age of each other. Particularly since you said you’ve been doing it for weeks. Maybe shoo the non cooperative ones out and watch for a minute? You said there’s been no major problems so I wouldn’t be too worried.

I don’t see a location marker in your profile, but might guess the TN in your name is Tennessee. Not sure what the weather is like there now, but if it’s not terribly hot, and if you have good ventilation in the coop, you could wait them out a little longer and let them come out on their own. Keep an eye on them for signs of heat stress, but I’d expect they’ll come out when they’re ready.

For future reference. You didn’t say what age they were when you’d gotten the birds. I have never thought twice about putting two day old birds in the brooder with two week olds. Never had a problem. And then I’ve never had to think about integrating what are all essentially new birds.

I'm glad everything has worked out! All of this is normal, you have a good sized coop so no worries there. Multiple feed and water stations is an added bonus and definitely eases tensions and territorial behavior. Just give them time, they are giving space to the older birds which is what the older birds want and is all part of the pecking order. They'll be out enjoying life before you know it.

Thank you for your wisdom! You were totally right, they just needed a couple more days to get used to things. Now everyone is doing just fine, and they're all enjoying the enclosed run together. :) Such a relief!

Back
Top Bottom